Seeking a new baritone guitar - with a happy ending!

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
edited September 2022 in Guitar
A mate of mine came over to jam some guitar last week. He'd just bought himself a rather nice Jim Root Strat which he kindly let me play. The Fender model, not the Squier. It feels very nice to play, silky smooth neck and the EMG 81/85 combination sounded great. It's a great guitar and now the bastard has me gassing for one.

I'm not a massive Slipknot fan, so don't think I can justify spunking £1500 on a guitar cos Jim Root designed it with Fender. Not gonna lie its a great guitar to play and looks cool but its a lot of money. I've seen the Squier series, the Telecaster is £400 odd new, though could find something less used.

Is there a massive difference between the Mexican made ones and the Squiers? The main one is the pickups, the Squier comes with passives. They're a little muddy and weak from what I've heard from demos. The other complaint is about the neck not feeling nice to play.

If there's not I could possibly get myself a Squier Tele and then do some basic mods like swap out pickups, replace nut (if its not a bone one) and install new tuners. Would be a bit cheaper and still give me a decent sounding guitar? 

Plan is to set it up in a real low tuning (drop a) so I think a 25.5 scale would be ok with 13-62 strings?

Or should I just stop dreaming and get myself a proper baritone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    As someone who has ventured down this route, just get a long scale 6 string. Ive had a 26.5 (which is up for sale) and that in B standard is good, in BEADGbB is ok, but my 28 inch in BEAD is a while different ball game.  Ive gone for a 28 inch scale Ibanez RGIB6 with Dimarzio Titans and it sounds awesome. No flubbyiness, nice tension with 12 - 68 strings. The key is the length!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Proper baritones are 27inch scale right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11304
    I had the Mex JR Tele.  It was crap.  Looked great but really lousy frets, no battery box and a (white) finish that let the red case lining leach into it soon after I bought it.  I got shot.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    P.S.  The Strat is MIA, the Tele MIM.
  • Offset said:
    P.S.  The Strat is MIA, the Tele MIM.
    Ah I see, thanks for that. Hence why the Strat costs about £250 more?

I always had that assumption though if you stick an EMG in any shitty piece of wood it'll sound great. So maybe getting a Squier and putting an 81 in the bridge will be enough.
    @Lestratcaster - there are far better, cheaper options if this is the sort of thing you want.  HB for instance :-)
  • I'm hoping the urge will soon fade as I'm trying not to be tempted by it haha.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited August 2022
    Offset said:
    I had the Mex JR Tele.  It was crap. … I got shot.
    Another short-term owner here. Something about the MIM guitar wasn't to my liking. 

I'm pretty sure that the MIM JR models use EMG-81/-60 humbuckers. I took advantage of the Quik Connect™ wiring harness try other EMG and Seymour Duncan active pickups. I soon reverted to stock and moved the guitar on.

Proper baritones are 27inch scale, right?
    There is no hard and fast rule for what is a correct scale length for any given musical application.

Jetfire said:
    As someone who has ventured down this route, just get a long scale 6 string. 
    It would be impolite to ask how much money you "ventured". IMO, Jetfire's post is a good example of one Fretboarder trying save another a fat wad of money.

The nearest that I have been into the world of down tuning is a pair of pre-owned Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi humbuckers. These are about to be installed in an ageing Ibanez RG321MH. Probable tuning, D Standard or, at a push, C#.
    Be seeing you.
    Offset said:
    I had the Mex JR Tele.  It was crap. … I got shot.
    Another short-term owner here. Something about the MIM guitar wasn't to my liking. 

I'm pretty sure that the MIM JR models use EMG-81/-60 humbuckers. I took advantage of the Quik Connect™ wiring harness try other EMG and Seymour Duncan active pickups. I soon reverted to stock and moved the guitar on.

Proper baritones are 27inch scale, right?
    There is no hard and fast rule for what is a correct scale length for any given musical application.

Jetfire said:
    It would be impolite to ask how much money you "ventured". IMO, Jetfire's post is a good example of one Fretboarder trying save another a fat wad of money.

The nearest that I have been into the world of down tuning is a pair of pre-owned Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi humbuckers. These are about to be installed in an ageing Ibanez RG321MH. Probable tuning, D Standard or, at a push, C#.
    I have a baritone Steinberger Synapse Transcale for all of those EMG, big fret, dropped tuning urges.

• Proper baritones are 27inch scale, right?

I mean, I usually play 24.75 scale necks as low as drop a# and it just about holds up. I've dropped it to a once or twice but then its starts to get a lil' flubby and messy.

Jetfire said:

So, I ventured. 

£400 for the RGIB6
    Sold the whole EMG set for £100
    Bought titans for £120

Wiring etc was £60 i think? 

Jobs a good un. 

Alot of internet wisdom says that 28 inch + scale is a true baritone but as FF says, there is a grey area. a 7 string, 27 inch scale is a baritone but its only 27 inches. 

Curve ball thought. 

Get a body made similar to the JR strat but no bridge drilled for it, buy a long scale neck, put the bridge in the right place and  then finish as you would do any other guitar. 
    Also, if you want to try long scale for cheap, Subzero from Gear4music for a jazz master baritone which has mixed reviews but worth a punt. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Jetfire said:
    how much money you "ventured".
    So, I ventured. 

£400 for the RGIB6
    Bought titans for £120

Job's a good un.  
    I meant your entire journey into the down-tuning rabbit hole. Not just the guitar that brought your experimentation to its logical conclusion.
    Be seeing you.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    I had the black JR Tele and I loved it. Bought for around £700 around 2010 so shows how much they've gone up now. Personally, £700 would be my limit for one as any more than that, I'd rather modify a cheaper Tele to be similar. They're great guitars but not so unique that you couldn't do something similar for cheaper.
  • Jetfire said:

Curve ball thought. 

Get a body made similar to the JR strat but no bridge drilled for it, buy a long scale neck, put the bridge in the right place and  then finish as you would do any other guitar. 
    Could be an idea, makes it a bit unique and less "cos I love Jim Root" vibe.
  • Stevepage said:
    I had the black JR Tele and I loved it. Bought for around £700 around 2010 so shows how much they've gone up now. Personally, £700 would be my limit for one as any more than that, I'd rather modify a cheaper Tele to be similar. They're great guitars but not so unique that you couldn't do something similar for cheaper.
    Yeah I saw a used Strat on reverb/ebay for around £800 which isn't bad now you mention. 
    Jetfire said:
    how much money you "ventured".
    So, I ventured. 

£400 for the RGIB6
    Bought titans for £120

Job's a good un.  
    I meant your entire journey into the down-tuning rabbit hole. Not just the guitar that brought your experimentation to its logical conclusion.
    YIt wasnt tha much a rabit hole. I got the 26.5 (which its great for Drop C) but I knew once I tried a 28 inch in a shop, it made sense. ive stuck with it ever since. 
    Stevepage said:
    Yeah I saw a used Strat on reverb/ebay for around £800 which isn't bad now you mention. 
    For £800, Id go for it.
  • Jetfire said:
    Stevepage said:
    For £800, Id go for it.
    Well, £850. And then £30 delivery. Still less than new though.
    In a recent Instagram post, Jim said that the white ones are pretty rare so if it's a white one, get it and sell it on for **MEGA POUNDS**

Seriously, I wanted JR strat but couldn't be messed dealing with EmGs etc. So went with a blacktop strat which had just come out at the time. Saved £400. The other thing is that the paint on the JR is designed to chip away so I prob a have slightly better (newer?) looking guitar thank would have if I'd had the Root.  That's not a critism or a bad thing, I'd just have wrecked it