How many of you have gone from individual fx to multifx and been happy?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 698
Like a magpie I've bought a lot of pedals over the years and sold very few so now I have a lot of pedals in the house and would rather downsize. I'm a home noodler.

To give you an example I've got all 3 big box Strymons (Big Sky, Timeline and Mobius) and recently got a Quad Cortex.

The strymons have a lot more options, but the quad cortex is so convenient and easy to use I've already used it a lot more than I used to use the strymons. I've used the cortex standalone and also with 4 cable model with my real amps.

The only downside of the cortex is that it doesn't have every type of delay/verb/mod possible, but in every other way it's probably better. I haven't tested sound quality back to back though.

I think the obvious answer is to sell the strymons, but is there anything I'm going to regret?

(I've also got an HXFX and a Plethora X5, plus a few analog variants, in case you are worried I don't have enough options)

Who's downsized and lived with no regrets? or the opposite?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I find having a multi FX works and having a few simple pedals works but having a bunch of complex single function pedals is really tedious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I have.

Boss ME-50, for 'proper' band use where I'm likely to need to tweak stuff, and GT-1 for travelling light, open mics etc where I might to have to plug into the PA.

I did test the sound quality back to back between the ME-50 and my analogue pedalboard, carefully with an A/B loop switcher. The ME-50 won - most of the sounds were basically indistinguishable, and for many the ME-50 actually sounded better. Really... even for some of the overdrive/distortion models. The only ones it really didn't were fuzz, octaver and analogue delay.

So I sold off my pedalboard. I've kept a small number of pedals - a couple of favourite overdrive and distortions, a couple of fuzzes, and I've just acquired a DM-3W, but I'm unlikely to use them live unless they're literally the only effects I need. (I take just a fuzz for playing bass in my garage/punk band.)

I doubt I'll ever have a pedalboard again. The multi-FX method is more flexible, more convenient, much smaller and lighter (for an equivalent number of effects), less hassle and also a lot cheaper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 599
    ICBM said:
    I have.

Boss ME-50, for 'proper' band use where I'm likely to need to tweak stuff, and GT-1 for travelling light, open mics etc where I might to have to plug into the PA.

I did test the sound quality back to back between the ME-50 and my analogue pedalboard, carefully with an A/B loop switcher. The ME-50 won - most of the sounds were basically indistinguishable, and for many the ME-50 actually sounded better. Really... even for some of the overdrive/distortion models. The only ones it really didn't were fuzz, octaver and analogue delay.

So I sold off my pedalboard. I've kept a small number of pedals - a couple of favourite overdrive and distortions, a couple of fuzzes, and I've just acquired a DM-3W, but I'm unlikely to use them live unless they're literally the only effects I need. (I take just a fuzz for playing bass in my garage/punk band.)

I doubt I'll ever have a pedalboard again. The multi-FX method is more flexible, more convenient, much smaller and lighter (for an equivalent number of effects), less hassle and also a lot cheaper.

How does the ME25, the smaller version cope? Just for home use.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    allen said:

Me, more than 30 years ago. At the time individual pedals had better quality sounds than MultiFX, but my overriding need was too switch multiple effects on or off at the same instant, and without missing a beat in my playing. Nowadays I’m not convinced that individual pedals are better. Plus, my AxeFX switches my light show at the same time.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jetsam1 said:

How does the ME25, the smaller version cope? Just for home use. 
    No idea, I've never tried one.

At a quick look it's what I would hate in a multi-FX though - patch changes only, no ability to turn on and off individual effects. I never change patches on the fly, only turn effects on and off like on an analogue pedalboard - the ME-50 does that in 'manual' mode, and I've reprogrammed the footswitches on the GT-1 to do it as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    allen said:
    Like a magpie I've bought a lot of pedals over the years and sold very few so now I have a lot of pedals in the house and would rather downsize. I'm a home noodler.

To give you an example I've got all 3 big box Strymons (Big Sky, Timeline and Mobius) and recently got a Quad Cortex.

The strymons have a lot more options, but the quad cortex is so convenient and easy to use I've already used it a lot more than I used to use the strymons. I've used the cortex standalone and also with 4 cable model with my real amps.

The only downside of the cortex is that it doesn't have every type of delay/verb/mod possible, but in every other way it's probably better. I haven't tested sound quality back to back though.

I think the obvious answer is to sell the strymons, but is there anything I'm going to regret?

(I've also got an HXFX and a Plethora X5, plus a few analog variants, in case you are worried I don't have enough options)

I have 12 pedals and a gigrig switcher on a pt pro and I’m seriously thinking of going down to a pt-jr and 5-6. 

I had the stryfecta for a while, sold them and haven’t missed them to be honest. 

Really like the look of a quad cortex too looks like a great all in one solution, do you use an expression pedal with it or not bother?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    I’m currently wondering the very same thing, after two really frustrating weekends playing at some festivals where I had to lug a ton of gear around. One of the sets I was told I couldn’t use my own amp after carrying it quite a long way to the stage.

I do have an HX Stomp on my board, and I’m happy with the amp sounds I can get with it when not using my actual amp, but this runs short on DSP for some situations.

I’m currently considering selling off some stuff I don’t use and either getting the QC or full-fat Helix for festival/further afield gigs where it would make more sense to travel light. 

I feel like it’s a big step for me though, and the pedals I would be selling off are mostly rare/worth a fair bit and would likely be irreplaceable if I regretted the move
  • I’ve been running a Helix LT (with an FRFR) for a couple of years, a HXFX before that, and a M13 before that. I’m just looking at going back to an amp so might look at a pedalboard again as I’m all ‘menu-d out’. I reckon I can get by with a couple of drives, some sort of mod pedal and a reverb/ delay if I get the amp I’m looking at
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited August 2022
    FWIW I sold all my Strymon stuff and a fair bit more besides when I picked up a Fractal FX8. Its time-based effects are at least Strymon quality. They're a ridiculous bargain used!
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 16
    Switched from a complex board with a Timeline  & Mobius and loads more to using a Boss GT 1000 just for effects into a clean amp for convenience… unlikely to use the big board much anymore, GT is quick, easy and covers everything I need! 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited August 2022
    I've got an amp (well 2 actually) and 2 different pedalboards, and an Atomic Amplifire and FRFR.

Cake and eat it. No need for either/ or.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    edited August 2022
    I have gone from individual pedals to a HXFX. 
    It’s an incredibly capable joyless box.  I want my pedals back.  
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I've owned all the main multi fx modelers since 2003 at various points but keep selling them and sticking with my amp and pedalboard. 

In my heart I know that a multifx is cheaper,  lighter,  more convenient to transport,  easy to backup and replace etc but in my head I hate messing with menus and can't reconcile having 1000s sounds yet I only use 3.

I'm still reading reviews of the quad cortex though just in case....

In my heart I know that a multifx is cheaper,  lighter,  more convenient to transport,  easy to backup and replace etc but in my head I hate messing with menus and can't reconcile having 1000s sounds yet I only use 3.
    This is why I use the ME-50. It works just like an analogue pedalboard but without the hassle.

I’m sure there are other multi-FX with this kind of ease of use too.

• Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 262
    Line 6 m9, for example?

Works for me. Pitch shift not so good, but anything modulation, reverb, wierd noises ... 
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 300
    I've just sold off everything except my fuzz, Ti boost and distortion pedals and bought a Plethora x5 (cos Bax has a good deal on them) . I'd been planning on buying a Flashback, Hall of Fame 2 and some kind of octave, those three would have cost about the same as I paid for the plethora so as a cost option it made sense. So far (1 day in) its working fine, it works as a "pedalboard" much like ICBM has his ME50 working and I can set up boards should I choose too plus I get the other effects to play with as well. 
     So far, as someone who suffers with option paralysis it seems to work how I hoped it would.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I have.  Bought Helix as soon as it came out and it, together with Native which I use for noodling and recording, give me all I need.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    edited August 2022
    I feel like Mrs Doyle did when she got the tea making machine for Christmas…..Yes, the tea making machine does it all for you & is extremely practical etc etc…..but,,,,,
    https://i.imgur.com/CcHqYOR.jpg
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    Yup.  Actually started with a Boss ME-5, then an Art SGX2000,  then a Roland VG-8, then a load of pedals,  now a Helix.

Every one of those sounded great; the VG-8 and (even more so) the Helix gave me the flexibility and control I want. The Helix interface is nicely flat and shallow too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I went to HX Stomp + MC6 into a conventional amp this year and I don't think I'll go back. I've got them on a PT Nano. I'd had the Stomp on my board for about 3 years and been using Helix Native a lot so I was pretty immersed in the system. It became much more flexible to use with the band when I figured out how to enter new HX banks with MC6 bank changes. I then replicate template HX banks and edit them for whatever each song needs. Great backup options also. Not as "on-the-fly" as pedals but super consistent for a covers band (which is what I needed).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom