Erasure… Who Likes Them?

What's Hot
CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2099
edited August 2022 in Music
I love them and absolutely love this version of Always, probably not the first band you would associate with a guitar forum but I bet a lot of their tracks stripped back like this are great

https://youtu.be/E57knSLNH14

This is inspired by the Greatest Hits Vs Album thread, my parents had the greatest hits album so lot of memories attached for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm a little too young for synth pop but my sister was a big fan so I have fond childhood memories.

Some excellent songwriting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2099
    edited August 2022
    I'm a little too young for synth pop but my sister was a big fan so I have fond childhood memories.

Some excellent songwriting.
    Yep I think that’s the crux of it, not much into synth pop at all but good songwriting will more often than not permeate the delivery for example The Proclaimers 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
    I really liked them back in the day.  Great melodies :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    I d…….Ooooh sometimes.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love them. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I was just the right age for them.. I liked them very much. My Mrs loves them too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Vince Clarke is analogue synthesizer royalty. His gear repository could open tomorrow as a museum. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    Erasure did some superb songs. Not always my Bag and being into Metal around that time, I probably sneered at some of their stuff, but looking back and with learned knowledge of music I realised that they were a bloody good act.

I think Ship of Fools is probably my fave of theirs...........today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    I really like some of it,  occasionally. They somehow escaped being overplayed too badly. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    As a teenage metalhead back in the day, I hated Erasure with a passion.  What a fool!  They're pop perfection.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    I still think The Innocents is their best album, but they've done so many great ones it gets hard to tell... Vince Clarke seems to have an inexhaustible supply of simple but brilliant melody hooks.

Anyway, they do belong on a guitar forum - he often uses a National resonator live ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    ICBM said:
    I still think The Innocents is their best album, but they've done so many great ones it gets hard to tell... Vince Clarke seems to have an inexhaustible supply of simple but brilliant melody hooks.

Anyway, they do belong on a guitar forum - he often uses a National resonator live ;).
    Yeah, between 85 and 88 is probably what I'd say was their best.

I agree, great songwriting talent. I once learned the chords to "A Little Respect", it definitely keeps your mind busy.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 481
    Great tunes. How about this cover?
    JD McPherson - A Little Respect - YouTube
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    I loved Depeche Mode back in their early days, Yazoo were great too. Bloke is a pop genius. Go to the Depeche Mode bar in Tallinn if it's still there to hear examples of his early work.

I don't own any records by the above or Erasure, but I certainly wouldn't switch the channel on the radio when they came on in preference to hearing some autotuned gentleman going 'uh uh uh' over some horrible shrieking.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Not really my cup of tea, but not too bad I suppose.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    My band have played A Little Respect and Stop! for years, and we don’t have a keyboard player. 

Great band. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    ICBM said:

This. More hooks than a busy fishing shop.
    Vince is a one man hit machine & very talented too.
    Brilliant, unashamedly pop tunes & they're all great.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    I've always liked em, they were a big part of growing up for me and my wife loves em so I've seen them live. Vince has an incredible ear for a tune and you can't deny the songwriting as others have said. Great stuff.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I hated all that synth pop back in the day. I can appreciate it for its quality now, but it's not stuff I would by or listen to. A nostalgic spin on the radio is enough for me.
  • https://youtu.be/x34icYC8zA0

A wonderfully literal video!