My demos

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2583
I've a bunch of rough demos kicking about which are waiting for a band to reform around them. The band is Fenn. We are ridiculously poor at arranging things. As such it may never happen.

But I don't like having music that never gets listened to. That's the whole point of it. So... I'm going to post the occasional demo on this thread, just so they are out there, even though they are not in their final form.

The first tune is Crept. I wrote and recorded this earlier in the year when I was in covid self-isolation. I was isolating from the family, so I had time on my hands and this is what came out. The song is unfinished - I write a lot of instrumentals, however this is a very obviously structured song waiting for a vocal.

I'm posting a Google drive link. Hopefully that works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z9Je_zd4nxP7acsgaOvsPa3oUH0P4vms/view?usp=drivesdk
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Gadz I so want this song to be finished and to properly see the light of day...
  • ClarionClarion Frets: 1
    edited August 2022

soz, I posted in wrong place - newbie 

Almost 100% certain I'll never tell the story behind this tune. It was mentally a very weird time. I wish I could make music when I'm content...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • erueru Frets: 53
    Sounds cool, I really like the soaring guitars. Reminds me a bit of Explosions In The Sky.

Thanks! Explosions are certainly a band I admire. I guess at that time I was trying to combine post rock with a 90s alt rock vibe.
    This tune was done in response to my son moving out. I think it has a bit of an autumnal feel to it.

This tune was done when I briefly got back in to a band a few years ago. I thought the band had good prospects. Then it collapsed because of the apparent logistical impossibility of getting 4 men in a rehearsal room at the same time.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    I like this vibrato dips in this. Reminds me of MBV or DIIV.

TBH I've given up on bands and gone electronic because it's so hard to organise anything. 

Great tunes BTW.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers. Not sure if I've given up on bands, although each year my inclination to pick up a guitar diminishes. Not sure I'll ever truly give up, but I might as well given how unproductive I am these days.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    Thought I could hear vocals not quite muted? I listened to all of them. They were good but I like songs to have words.
    Thanks for listening. Definitely no vocals haha. It's interesting how we all need different things in music. I enjoy vocal melody and harmony. I love a good choral work. But I think I could count the songs on one hand I know the words to. Even the greats like Nick Cave, who write screeds and screeds of words - I don't listen to them. Well maybe the odd chorus phrase or hook.

I am planning to work on these demos again some time. and I will be putting vocals on to some tracks. However I'm likely just to use pretend make up words for effect. I've got nothing worth saying!
    I always looked at my recordings as demos, because I've always envisaged that one day I'd be back in a band and we'd collectively get to some sort of output, be it an album release or playing a gig. But for one reason and another, I think I've finally accepted that is an unreachable goal.

So I've decided my next step is to make an 'album' by myself. It will be for my own satisfaction. I don't expect recognition by way of social media clicks, claps at a concert, or, as if this would ever happen, record sales...

I'll maybe use this thread as a diary or at least to think out loud.... Back soon...
    I've still not got round to starting the album project I mentioned above. Been busy with other things and a bit disillusioned tbh. Not sure I'm motivated to make music for my own satisfaction. What's the point of a song if it doesn't get listened to.

This song is a case in point. So much effort for so little reward.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    That’s my sort of tune, I know people don’t often like comparisons but that reminds me of Sigur ros who I’m a big fan of. 

Thanks. I'll take a Sigur Ros comparison any day  ;)

Honestly don't know how I found that song. I guess it's all a matter of getting in the zone and seeing what comes out.
    Please excuse more self-indulgence.

This is another tune that goes with Eyeless and Elfa Dogg I shared previously. This is Dutiful and it was a highlight of my non-existent music making career, because Alan Sparhawk of Low shared it on Twitter. I was pathetically excited about that. But he's just a nice man - it was nothing to do with the quality of the music.

I'd sorta moved on from this post-rock stuff, but now wondering if I should re-visit them and maybe do a few similar things to finish the 'project'. I've got an idea for a theme and a sketchy plan of what I'd like to do. We'll see if the plan sticks when I wake up in the morning...