Ash Wood

What's Hot

In my garden we have an ash tree which is suffering from ‘die back’ and so I need to call in a tree surgeon to remove it. 

I’m not sure about the practicalities - or even if you might find it useful (or the wood is possibly even worthless), but I wonder if any of you chaps who build guitars might be interested in some of the wood from it?

https://i.imgur.com/Z57Pjsn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xr989du.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    I’m not sure that this particular tree has a lot to offer for the guitar builder. For structural timber you want long straight trunks which are at least 15” diameter. From these you can cut slabs, or planks which can be joined, to make bodies. The trunk on this tree looks to be about three feet to the crotch (the point where the branches join). There’s also a risk that the tree has started to rot from the inside. When you cut it down you might that the pith is soft and discoloured, or even hollow. It might work, but you won’t know until it has been felled.

One potential use is for body caps. This one by Alan Crane uses spalted (rotten) timber over a solid Ash body http://reiverguitars.co.uk/project/046-azchubstrr-6/. Again, you won’t know until it has been felled.

However a wood turner would be happy to have it. Crotch sections, whether from trunk, or from branches, yield interesting grain patterns.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Thanks Roland - that was interesting to read.

The main trunk is definitely a couple of feet diameter. And it’s about 5 to 5 1/2 feet from the ground to the crotch…

As for the quality of the wood, I have no idea. Also I believe there is swamp ash and baseball ash, I rather suspect this might be the latter

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    English ash is usually quite heavy and hard.   Nice wood though, just a bit much for most usual guitar uses.  Not usually good for  fender style ash bodies  but as long as you keep an eye on weight it can work

• BorkBork Frets: 265
    Knobbly trunks are usually a good sign.  So long as rot hasn't crept into the fork, I think you might have some very interesting grain patterns to play with there.  

[This space for rent]

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    I'm well impressed with the size of your garden, are you sure it's not a public park? That is an odd looking Ash tree, it is very rare to have the trunk split into two main trunks so lowdown. Where two trunks go their separate ways, the wood inside should be really pretty might be flamed or quilted or bit of both. Certainly well worth it being cut down properly stored and dry to see what you've got.
    The photo below is English Ash used as a cap. that cap was sliced off of body size piece of English Ash that cost over £200, really is that rare. You might be lucky and fine something like this hidden away in that trunk. The second photo is another piece of English Ash, Stratocaster size, it's too heavy to use as a body, so will be sliced up for drop tops.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said:
    I'm well impressed with the size of your garden, are you sure it's not a public park? That is an odd looking Ash tree, it is very rare to have the trunk split into two main trunks so lowdown. Where two trunks go their separate ways, the wood inside should be really pretty might be flamed or quilted or bit of both. Certainly well worth it being cut down properly stored and dry to see what you've got.
    The photo below is English Ash used as a cap. that cap was sliced off of body size piece of English Ash that cost over £200, really is that rare. You might be lucky and fine something like this hidden away in that trunk. The second photo is another piece of English Ash, Stratocaster size, it's too heavy to use as a body, so will be sliced up for drop tops.

That’s really lovely Graham. I shall send you a PM
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20596
    Not wanting to sound like a philistine, but if you can't find anyone that wants the wood for good uses like instruments, then advertise it for firewood.
    Ash is superb for burning & you should probably be able to get someone to do the felling work in exchange for the wood.
    Thanks @Kittyfrisk  - that's something to consider.

I hate cutting down trees - so if at all possible, I'll see for how much longer I can safely maintain it in the garden.

It's just the worry that it may suddenly come tumbling down...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    If it's not suitable for guitar making,  I'd love some for turning and/or box making. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Fork 'andles.

Seriously. Ash is traditional for this application.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    @Funkfingers here you are 4 candles.

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 247
    Not sure that tree is any good but the body of my L'arrivee is silver ash. It's a little plain but rather nice assuming it is actually the same species and not a "given name" such as silky oak which isn't even oak.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Not sure that tree is any good but the body of my L'arrivee is silver ash. It's a little plain but rather nice assuming it is actually the same species and not a "given name" such as silky oak which isn't even oak.
    Its exactly like Silky Oak.. both are Australian timbers named because either the tree or wood looked vaguely like the English versions they are named after