Seeking a new baritone guitar - with a happy ending!

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11303
    i really like the Strat version despite it not having a maple board, and having an ebony board - I couldn't find the maple board version of it anywhere, though the fixed bridge, and no tremolo makes it a no no for me.
    https://www.peachguitars.com/charvel-artist-jim-root-signature-pro-mod-san-dimas-style-1-hh-fr-m-maple-satin-.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanR said:
    How are those Daemonum pickups? I read about them a while back but there didn't seem to be much information apart from "designed to Jim's spec"
    They are quite a bit fuller than the 81 which are pretty direct/compressed, less in the high end and a touch less gain.

You tend to have to dig in a bit more than with the 81 so they feel/play more like a passive pickup so a lot more touch sensitive.
    That sounds quite similar to the Hot 70s that I was waxing lyrical about, further up the page :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    DanR said:
    How are those Daemonum pickups? I read about them a while back but there didn't seem to be much information apart from "designed to Jim's spec"
    They are quite a bit fuller than the 81 which are pretty direct/compressed, less in the high end and a touch less gain.

You tend to have to dig in a bit more than with the 81 so they feel/play more like a passive pickup so a lot more touch sensitive.
    That sounds quite similar to the Hot 70s that I was waxing lyrical about, further up the page :)
    They sound similar ish reading up on them.
  • Offset said:
    i really like the Strat version despite it not having a maple board, and having an ebony board - I couldn't find the maple board version of it anywhere, though the fixed bridge, and no tremolo makes it a no no for me.
    https://www.peachguitars.com/charvel-artist-jim-root-signature-pro-mod-san-dimas-style-1-hh-fr-m-maple-satin-.htm

And the truss rod adjuster being at the arse end of the neck makes that a big no no  for me.  I'm very particular about minor hings like that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:

And the truss rod adjuster being at the arse end of the neck makes that a big no no  for me.  I'm very particular about minor hings like that.
    It's the easiest way to adjust a truss rod there is.  I've never figured out the antipathy to it.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2955
    edited August 2022
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

It's the easiest way to adjust a truss rod there is.  I've never figured out the antipathy to it.

Besides how it looks, i have a tendancy to ake use of ''that fret with the chunk cut out'' if it's there, a clean end to the fretboard prevents me from doing that and getting strings caught in that cut out when bending on that non fret if you will or close to it.  It's not just how it looks.  But the Fender wedbsite mentions and shows two versions of his signature guitar, both have two active EMG humbuckers, and a fixed bridge, however one is black with an ebony board, and the other is white with a maple board.  It's the white one with the maple board that I've never seen in person, or buy anywhere except from Fender, and Fender don't always sell it.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    I'm guessing you're in the minority if you have a tendancy to make use of the 23rd fret. Would be easier to buy guitars with 24 frets so you're covered regardless of where the truss rod adjustment bolt is?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    DavusPG said:
    I'm guessing you're in the minority if you have a tendancy to make use of the 23rd fret. Would be easier to buy guitars with 24 frets so you're covered regardless of where the truss rod adjustment bolt is?
    Wouldn't there then be an irresistible temptation to try to play on the "25th" fret?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2955
    edited August 2022
    DavusPG said:
    Why have a 24 frets, when I can just bend the 22nd higher?  Same principle applies, because it's there, I subconsiously make use if, without realising I'm using it, until I get strngs caught in it,, or feel it under my fingers.

Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:
    Wouldn't there then be an irresistible temptation to try to play on the "25th" fret?

Very very few 24 fret guitars hae anything that could mistaken or used as a 25th fret, the freyboard has a clean stop at the 24th fret.

DavusPG said:
    Why have a 24 frets, when I can just bend the 22nd higher?  Same principle applies, because it's there, I subconsiously make use if, without realising I'm using it, until I get strngs caught in it,, or feel it under my fingers.

Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:

Very very few 24 fret guitars hae anything that could mistaken or used as a 25th fret, the freyboard has a clean stop at the 24th fret.

This has 24 frets and exactly the same kind of truss rod adjustment as the one we've been discussing.

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature Model Birdseye Maple Top Pre-Owned
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:

Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:

This has 24 frets and exactly the same kind of truss rod adjustment as the one we've been discussing.

So does my Charvel... and my Harley Benton.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

So does my Charvel... and my Harley Benton.
    Ditto Cort G300.
  • Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:

Philly_Q said:
    DavusPG said:

No it doesn't, the OP
    A mate of mine came over to jam some guitar last week. He'd just bought himself a rather nice Jim Root Strat which he kindly let me play. The Fender model, not the Squier. It feels very nice to play, silky smooth neck and the EMG 81/85 combination sounded great. It's a great guitar and now the bastard has me gassing for one.

I'm not a massive Slipknot fan, so don't think I can justify spunking £1500 on a guitar cos Jim Root designed it with Fender. Not gonna lie its a great guitar to play and looks cool but its a lot of money. I've seen the Squier series, the Telecaster is £400 odd new, though could find something less used.

Is there a massive difference between the Mexican made ones and the Squiers? The main one is the pickups, the Squier comes with passives. They're a little muddy and weak from what I've heard from demos. The other complaint is about the neck not feeling nice to play.

If there's not I could possibly get myself a Squier Tele and then do some basic mods like swap out pickups, replace nut (if its not a bone one) and install new tuners. Would be a bit cheaper and still give me a decent sounding guitar? 

Plan is to set it up in a real low tuning (drop a) so I think a 25.5 scale would be ok with 13-62 strings?

Or should I just stop dreaming and get myself a proper baritone?
    The hread has been about the Fender Jim roots model, those nasty things with the truss rod adjusters at the arse end of the neck - something few guitar manufacturers do, where not even mentioned until I brought up the maple board version of the Jim Roots Stratocaster that I've never been able to find in person, or see for sale antwjere barr the Fender website, and even then onluy occassionally  Just because FMIC own Charvel, does not make a Charvel a Fender, just like Gibson owning Epiphone, does not make Epiphone a Gibson.

I'm not talking about the OP, I'm talking about the Charvel where you objected to the truss rod adjustment:

Offset said:

Charvel Artist Jim Root Signature Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 HH FR M  Maple - Satin Black
  • Would a longer scale neck i.e 27inch not require a crazy high gauge string cos of the improved tension? It would be nice not to use another gauge for drop a, usually use 12-56's for drop b or a# and just about holds up. Just.
  • What about Chapman guitars? This is a 28" scale length so should be more than fine for drop a!

Chapman ML1 Modern Standard Baritone in Red Sea - Andertons Music Co.

I wonder if I could stick EMG's in it?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I did want his Jazzmaster but I always feel they are a bit big on me and seeing as it’s mahogany it’s probably not the lightest guitar.

Looks cool though especially his sandblasted one which  I think they never released for sale.
  • What about Chapman guitars? This is a 28" scale length so should be more than fine for drop a!

Chapman ML1 Modern Standard Baritone in Red Sea - Andertons Music Co.

I wonder if I could stick EMG's in it?

Both Rob and the Captain - Lee, both talked me out of buying a Chapman guitar on tweo seperate occasions, once for a Ghost Fret, and the second time was for the Capten, or what ever Lee's signature model is called.
  • Hmm, one of my friend's has one but I don't know what model it is. Sounds nice though I've only played it a couple of times.

PRS SE277 perhaps?

PRS SE 277 Baritone Electric Guitar in Charcoal Burst - Andertons Music Co.
    Both Rob and the Captain - Lee, both talked me out of buying a Chapman guitar on tweo seperate occasions, once for a Ghost Fret, and the second time was for the Capten, or what ever Lee's signature model is called.
    That's a bit like someone walking up to the bar in one of our pubs and asking me for a pint of beer - only to be told "no, you really don't want that beer.  I recommend the pub over the road."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom