SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Gretsch G6118T Players Edition Anniversary W/Bigsby Two-Tone Vintage White/Walnut Stain

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited August 2022 in Guitars £
I've bought and sold a few Gretsches lately, and ended up with this being the one that I thought suited me best. I love the ease of playing, the string-through Bigsby, the colour, the scale, the unbound fretboard, everything really. The only thing that I missed a little was the slightly fuller body of the 6120. This sounds great, it's so easy to play - you can even change the Bigsby'd up strings without having to go to hospital.

I was at Coda one Saturday morning, and this popped up on the website the afternoon before, and it had caught my good eye. Anyway, I was there for opening at 9.30am and I was trying this, the phone was ringing about this guitar. 'No', I snarled, 'tell them it's sold'. I say 'snarled' - it was more John Inman than Shere Khan, but the intent was there. Anyway, there was no reason not to buy it, and there's no reason to sell it. It's a lovely guitar. It's virtually as new, and is a 2021 model. It's £2199 new, and so the £1499 that I'm asking here is a decent saving for a virtually new guitar. It has all the paperwork and is immaculate.

So, that was it - in my period of 'rationalisation', that was my Gretsch.

Then last week, I saw a 6120 SSLVO advertised on eBay. I got chatting to the seller, and it turns out that it's done 17 years worth of touring across the USA, UK and Europe with a rock 'n' roll band. Well, I like that type of thing, so I went to see it. Truth be told, I should have spent longer viewing it, but I felt myself coming down with a cold, which incidentally has turned into a monster this week. Not Covid thankfully, but an absolute beast of a virus type thing. Luckily, I'm not one to complain, but anyway, I was thankful to get back to the car and open a box of tissues. As it happens, that's the very same feeling that I get when I complete most guitar deals.

Anyway, I picked it up for a good price, which is just as well, because it's received some natural relicing, by way of being played non-stop for seventeen years. I like that, it's a good back story. It sounds really good too. Really good. I thought that the flimsy strings on it might have been responsible for a slightly 'loose' fretboard experience, but when I got it home, I realised that it needed a refret. So, that's where it's gone. However, it's worth it, and it sounds and feels so lovely, that I'm going to give that a go at being my 'only Gretsch'.

So I thought I'd pop this one up for sale to see how it does. Anyway, you know, happy to travel, don't want to post, dogging areas, public conveniences, shaded woodland glens, car parks, North Yorkshire, service stations (not Watford Gap, I'm stil banned) , wherever you want. I don't anticipate that you'll want to invite me to your house - after all, you have your standards - but I'm happy to visit. I shall have my box of tissues too.  Well, you can never tell.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 801
    Real purdy! GLWTS:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 191
    How is the neck thickness and profile? 12th fret thickness measurement would be great if it is available. Cheers
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8072
    FFS, that’s lush! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8335
    It’s very lovely, though the gold pickups surrounds bother me (an easy fix). First Annie I’ve seen without an Ebony board. 

If you’d take a G5420 in trade (recent model in blue, 6120 sized body, mint, freshly setup), I’d be tempted to go for this. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited August 2022
    Tbh, if I wanted two Gretsches, I'd be keeping this one as well!
    Call me Dave.
    How is the neck thickness and profile? 12th fret thickness measurement would be great if it is available. Cheers

I haven't got anything to measure fret width that accurately, but will try and find some info. The fret stands at about 1.5mm tall at the 12th fret.

Gretsch says that it's a standard U, but I have to admit that it feels like a medium C to me. Comfortable, not chunky, not too slim.

Call me Dave.
    @DB1 ;

Thanks a lot. Actually I was just asking neck thickness (at 12th fret) not the fret wire. I created a confusion, sorry.
    Ah - OK! The depth - and this unscientific, as I've just used a ruler! - is about an inch and a quarter, but this is where it starts to join the body of course. At the 11th fret, it's about 9/10 of an inch.
    Call me Dave.
    Super helpful! That was the exact measurement I was asking. Thanks again.

Unfortunately it is a little bit slim for my taste but I guess Gretsch necks are mostly like this. 
    All all pro line Gretsches have a Fender C style neck. No fatties in the Gretsch Pro Line series.  

Shame, I love a chubby neck 
    I can't really imagine a Gretsch with a chubby neck. The Falcons feel a little bulkier from memory, and I don't think that I ever really got used to the profile, but I must have had nearly 20 Pro Line Gretsches and they've all been what I'd call medium.

I do like a chubby neck on some guitars, usually Gibsons though.
    Call me Dave.
    Sunday best bump.

A couple of trade offers so far (thanks) but still here.
    Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    edited August 2022
    I have an earlier version of this guitar, from 2016. It's every bit as good as DB1 says. It's my number 1 guitar and has been for some time, even though I have other Gretsch guitars. 

DB1 you ought to have kept the Chet 6120 you sold me... just sayin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Funnily enough, I was offered my old 6120 DSW back a couple of weeks ago, but didn't go for it - I think that I finally twigged that I wasn't overly keen on the fretboard inlays on them. I took the SSLVO to have a refret on Friday, and am looking forward to getting that back. That's got something a bit special about it, even though (or because) it's been gigged non-stop for the past seventeen years.

The Annie - you could quite easily have this as an 'only' guitar, especially if you're gigging. There's absolutely nothing that I can say that's negative about it. It looks great, sounds, great, feels great, it's a doddle to use, etc...

I suppose I prefer the slightly deeper body of the 6120, but not everyone does.

Call me Dave.
    It's still here, you know. :)
    Call me Dave.
    Have the strap locks changed over earlier models?
    I really don't know, although I've just found a set of Grovers in the case.
    Call me Dave.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2762
    What I'd like to know is what happened in Watford gap
    edited August 2022
    All that I'm at liberty to say is that the Gap isn't as large as it once was.
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't had more interest - a couple of trade offers aside - perhaps I've priced it wrong, but it's virtually as new and is a lovely problem-free, easy to use and play Gretsch. Things seem a bit slow at the moment, so I'll listen to any interesting trade or p/ex suggestions if anyone wants to message me.

P90's, hollow body things, J45, L-00, maybe rosewood Strat/Tele, etc - all messages answered promptly and courteously. And with photos of me at the beach (don't panic, this is a lie)
    Call me Dave.