Routing Strat for humbuckers. Advice please

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
edited August 2022 in Making & Modding
I’ve got a Strat body that I want to modify from SSS to fit a couple of SD humbuckers. I’ve got a reasonable quality Bosch plunge router and bits. What’s the best way to proceed? 

Is it best to make up a template first? Is there a recommended place to download template plans from? (for free preferably). 

Any general advice welcome really. TIA. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Do you want to make two nice neat HB cavities, or just do a swimming pool rout (I presume it'll all be covered with a standard Strat scratchplate)?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Swimming pool has ramifications for one of the pickguard fastening screws. No early Sixties scratchplates! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited August 2022
    If you dont want swimming pool (easily done with 4 bits of wood screwed to make a rectangle, you can find a plexiglass humbucker template online quiet cheaply. Then get double sided tape, whack it on and route away. Worth getting a HH pickgaurd first so you can find your positioning before routing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Might I suggest golf grip tape rather than normal double-sided? Much stronger, and peels off cleanly leaving no residue. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited August 2022
    Ta for the replies so far. I’ve already got an HH scratchplate so can use that for positioning. I hadn’t thought about doing a swimming pool rout, that would be a lot easier to do I guess. Any downsides to it apart from the screw issue that Funky mentioned? 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I’ve got some mdf templates you can borrow if you like ? You will need a bearing guided bit though
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    DrBob said:
    I’ve got some mdf templates you can borrow if you like ? You will need a bearing guided bit though
    Ooh cheers Rob I may well take you up on that.  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    A swimming pool rout isn’t easier, unless you have industrial-size routing equipment - it’s far more material to remove. It can also compromise the vibrato screw anchor positions if you take away the section between the neck and middle pickups. Don’t. Do the job properly and make two correct-size humbucker cavities.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mooncatmooncat Frets: 122
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As @ICBM has already suggested, the trem claw screws are slightly angled and typically terminate in the material between the neck and middle pickups. It's a close call as to whether the holes drilled for them will be exposed or not - Fender have obviously  managed fine on many many Strats, but I've seen some home bodges too.

I'd also suggest you think carefully about the depth of the rout wrt your humbuckers. If you have short leg humbuckers you can take the depth of the pickup cavities down to about 21mm which is what Fender do on modern Strats (in vintage Strats and reissues the pickup cavities are about 17.5mm deep). At 21mm deep there is still about 5-6mm of wood between the pickup cavity and the trem spring cavity behind, leaving enough for some strength/ stiffness in the body, whilst still allowing a short leg pickup to fit, with short mounting screws (Fender screws are about 20mm).

If you have long leg humbuckers you face an additional challenge, since you need to rout extra depth very very accurately for the legs - look at the width between the legs and compare this to the width of the trem spring cavity - it's quite close, and indexing is an issue i.e. you don't know exactly where the boundaries of trem spring cavity are whilst routing for the legs, and it is possible to break through into the trem spring cavity, or get tear out and a hole between the cavities. There are many Strats modified in the 70's and 80s with this 'feature'. I simply don't install long leg humbuckers on Strats - too much hassle. Buy/ install short leg pickups, or have the pickups rebuilt on short leg bases of the right polepiece spacing.

Regarding swimming pool routs, when the US Std Strat (swimming pool rout) first came out in 1986  Fender realised after a couple of years they had too many returns for warped bodies. The move to more pieces of wood for the body, veneered front and back mitigated this to some extent (and helped with material costs), but returns continued. Ultimately they dropped the swimming pool rout on almost all guitars (Mex Blacktops are the only recent exception I can think of).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    ^ In 25 years of guitar obsession (and having owned a late 90's AM Std strat) I have never heard of warped bodies due to a swimming pool route...