The first and last photos of The Beatles together on 22nd August 1962 and 22nd August 1969

What's Hot
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I assume this is the first pic with Ringo in situ.. amazing coincidence on the dates also. It's staggering what they achieved in those years.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Awesome,  the older I get the more I appreciate them for some reason.

I know the beards don't help but John and George especially look like they have aged way beyond the 7 years gap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    edited August 2022
    Ringos first gig was at Port Sunlight Village hall so Surely itd be this picture which was 18th Aug?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/beatles-birthplace-marked-halls-new-3340639
  • Amazing!

Recently watched the Get Back series and also reacquainted myself with the Anthology albums…Mind-blowing stuff, really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I assume this is the first pic with Ringo in situ.. amazing coincidence on the dates also. It's staggering what they achieved in those years.
    And also how much the world changed - socially, culturally - over such a short time.  It'll never happen again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Ringos first gig was at Port Sunlight Village hall so Surely itd be this picture which was 18th Aug?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/beatles-birthplace-marked-halls-new-3340639
    It could well be. It was a Facebook post I nicked. Even if the dates aren't entirely accurate to see them bookended like that is a shock considering their output at the beginning and at the end. There was another post which was the last photo of them all together on Beatles duty before it was only business meetings and court appearances.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    The craziest thing to me is the fact in that picture in 62, they were a covers band. They didn't have an albums worth of original material to record like Oasis or Dire Straights did. They had a few songs but the amount they managed to write in the next 7 years was just staggering, not just in quality but in diversity and quality as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Ringos first gig was at Port Sunlight Village hall so Surely itd be this picture which was 18th Aug?

It could well be. It was a Facebook post I nicked. Even if the dates aren't entirely accurate to see them bookended like that is a shock considering their output at the beginning and at the end. There was another post which was the last photo of them all together on Beatles duty before it was only business meetings and court appearances.
    I just know the 1st gig fact as the venue is round the corner from me and I play there quite often. Theres a little museum etc. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    The Port Sunlight photo must be some time later: they have suits and haircuts. They look like the Beatles.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740

An explanation of the photo: Monty Lister interviews the Beatles at Hulme Hall in Port Sunlight on 27th October 1962. It was included with JBCD Box 1, the Japanese export compilation released in 1987. The man at the back is Alan Williams, the first manager of the Beatles.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Another detail which fascinates me is that when Paul played his old Höfner bass on the rooftop, it looked like - and was, really - a relic of a long-gone earlier era.

It was six years old. That’s like playing a guitar from 2016 today.

The world really did change out of all recognition during - and I honestly think at least partly due to - their recording career.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Litterick said:

An explanation of the photo: Monty Lister interviews the Beatles at Hulme Hall in Port Sunlight on 27th October 1962. It was included with JBCD Box 1, the Japanese export compilation released in 1987. The man at the back is Alan Williams, the first manager of the Beatles.

ah thats interesting cheers. The venue has that photo up but credit it as taken the first Ringo gig. However they played there 4 times so you are correct.

Here I am in the same doorway 49 years and 10 months later 

https://imgur.com/gallery/Gb0gM62  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    Philly_Q said:
    And also how much the world changed - socially, culturally - over such a short time.  It'll never happen again.
    These were the years when I may have, or may have not, "grown up".  ;)
    I was 14 years old at the time of the first photo, and 21 when the second one was taken.
  • We won't see a popular musical revolution like that again. Its been ever decreasing circles ever since. I've been mining Beatle music for 30 years and it still gives up the goods. Amazing.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Revolution in the Head is a great read for anyone interested in the Beatles' development and how it tracked the social and technological upheaval of the 1960s