Jaguar, jazzmaster style pickguard

What's Hot
Hi, is it possible to buy a jaguar pick guard that is all plastic, like a jazzmaster, and preferably without the upper rhythm circuit. Or would one need to make it commission that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Probably easier (and cheaper) to purchase blank chromed control plates.

The selector switch plate is already available in various formats including the Johnny Marr lever slot and a Cobain-inspired toggle selector plus bass cut slider.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    I think you’d need to get someone to make one. I’m sure you can get JM guards without rhythm circuit, but your ask is quite bespoke because JM and Jag layouts aren’t exactly the same. 

Also bear in mind that because Jaguars have separate cavities for the different plates and JMs have one big cavity you’ll have a HELL of a job wiring it all up unless your Jag body is routed with everything open? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2022
    stickyfiddle said:
    JM and Jag layouts aren’t exactly the same.  
    Neither are the pickguard outlines. For example, where the 'guard curves downward towards the controls area. 

Unless you detest the metal control plates, it is wiser to leave them in place. They make it possible to perform minor repairs without having to slacken the strings and remove the bridge and mute (if fitted).

If you never use the Rhythm Circuit, the traditional fixes are:
    1) smother the plate and controls in Gaffa tape so that nothing can move.
    2) electrically disconnect the RC slider switch from circuit. (The easiest way is to disconnect the pickup hot wire and the orange output wire from the DPDT to the neck pickup's on/off switch. Solder them together. Insulate the joint.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stickyfiddle said:
    JM and Jag layouts aren’t exactly the same.  
    Neither are the pickguard outlines. For example, where the 'guard curves downward towards the controls area. 

Unless you detest the metal control plates, it is wiser to leave them in place. They make it possible to perform minor repairs without having to slacken the strings and remove the bridge and mute (if fitted).

If you never use the Rhythm Circuit, the traditional fixes are:
    1) smother the plate and controls in Gaffa tape so that nothing can move.
    2) electrically disconnect the RC slider switch from circuit. (The easiest way is to disconnect the pickup hot wire and the orange output wire from the DPDT to the neck pickup's on/off switch. Solder them together. Insulate the joint.)
    Yep! That’s what I meant but didn’t quite write clearly. Totally agree. 

All the screws are in different places, as are the knobs, and that’s before you get to the wiring cavity issue
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    All good points for me to consider. The jaguar modern player pickguard seems close to what i want?
    edited August 2022
    Fender MP Jaguar has no pickguard. Just two P90 type pickups and rear-mounted controls.

There are HH and HS Jaguar models  but these have holes for a Tune-o-Matic bridge rather than the proper vibrato's "thimble" inserts.
    I assume you mean the Player Jaguar (pic below!), in which case yes that's not a bad option.

But the caveats around wiring still apply. The Player Jag has all the cavities open so you can run wiring however you want, and everything is attached to the guard except the neck pickup. 

Whereas some more vintage-inspired Jags have separate cavities and you have to run wires through little holes that connect them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fender MP Jaguar has no pickguard. Just two P90 type pickups and rear-mounted controls.

There are HH and HS Jaguar models  but these have holes for a Tune-o-Matic bridge rather than the proper vibrato's "thimble" inserts.
    https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-jaguar-c459/jaguar-modern-player-c371/wd-music-modern-player-jaguar-black-white-black-p13263 WD music make one to retrofit that model
    I have only ever seen the no pickguard variant and, even then, only in photographs. This is a fair reflection upon how little attention I have paid to recent Fender mid-price products.

If Fender has used the same name for several models, it might help to establish which exact variant you seek to modify. 

I have casually bandied the suggestion of replacing the offending metal control plate(s) but these come in several variations of outline, steel sheet thickness and shininess of chrome finish.
    I'm making a kit guitar rather than modifying an existing guitar.
    Is the kit neck the 25.5" scale length associated with the Jazzmaster or the shorter scale associated with a Jaguar? 

If it is the former, it ought to be possible to order an outline-only Jazzmaster pickguard and make all of the required holes in it yourself.

Warmoth used to have custom order pickguard service. You could mix and match outlines, the number of pickups, their shapes and positions, how many controls et cetera. Obviously, this service is not cheap plus there would be shipping charges, import duties and VAT on top.
    It's a jaguar scale kit.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I’d bet that earlpilanz on ebay would have such a thing.
  • I got a blank JM scratchplate that hasn't been drilled at all. I bet with a bit of patience and skill it could be transformed into what you want.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    alexh said:
    It's a jaguar scale kit.
    I can't  say I've seen may shortscale kits about. The few "jag"  kits I've seen were annoyingly 25.5". Where did you get yours from? Might be tempted to get one myself... 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.