What headstock shape for a "Richard" 480 style body

What's Hot
Looking way ahead of myself into the new year, one of these with a strat neck route. What headstock could work do you think? A reverse "Richard" "Rick" shape?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1265
    Maybe a "Dick" shaped headstock? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    edited August 2022
    There were versions of selected "Richard" electric guitars with slanted frets for (supposedly) faster playing. Why not take that idea to its illogical extreme by going fan fret?

Fender snake head would work but, there again, so would a non-reverse Firebird outline.

Have you considered sourcing a genuine Rickenbacker 230/260 Hamburg screw-on neck?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    edited August 2022
    There were versions of selected "Richard" electric guitars with slanted frets for (supposedly) faster playing. Why not take that idea to its illogical extreme by going fan fret?

Fender snake head would work but, there again, so would a non-reverse Firebird outline.

Have you considered sourcing a genuine Rickenbacker 230/260 Hamburg screw-on neck?
    I don't think I could get on with a fan fret guitar. The photo of the body isn't mine by the way, just something I am thinking of. Always liked this shape. I am trying to visualise a snake head, or even a non reverse FB headstock. I am also trying to visualise a 230/260 headstock on this.
    I could potentially get one shaped similar to the 230/260 but would need to get a paddle head neck with no angle I would think.
    A strat or tele headstock will not work, that's for sure!!
  • Maybe a "Dick" shaped headstock? :)
    It would look kind of like the headstock in your profile pic then :p 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    A "Richard"-shape headstock, of course. They'll sue you for the body anyway, you have nothing to lose!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • haha true . Should a headstock with this type of body be angled or not or does it matter ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Should a headstock with this type of body be angled or not or does it matter ?
    Slightly angled - I forget what angle RIC use, but it's much shallower than Gibson. The fingerboard is very deep so there's a lot more height at the nut and it isn't necessary for it to be as steep.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Maybe a "Dick" shaped headstock? :)
    It would look kind of like the headstock in your profile pic then :p 
    Maybe ElectricXII was referring to Dick as a shortened version of Richard. 

I’d second ICBM’s comment. You’ve got the body, just go the whole hog and do the headstock too. Looks great btw.
  • Any paddle headstock should do depending on the scale length right ?
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 168
    edited August 2022

• martmart Frets: 5213
    It's such a bummer when the router slips like that.

But then they go and ruin it more by not feeding the top string through its string tree!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If it wasn't a joke, then whoever made that is certainly a bit of a "Richard".

Actually looks-wise I must admit I quite like it. But practicality-wise definitely not (those break angles are what makes me think it has to be a joke - surely nobody would do that on a functional instrument... would they?)