Fender 'discrete' 5-way 4-pole switch

What's Hot
CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
edited August 2022 in Making & Modding
I thought I'd let people know about a 'new' 5-way switch available as a part from Fender. I haven't seen any discussion about this switch on the Forum, and I wasn't aware that this product was readily available to purchase until I saw it on the Andertons web site a few months ago. Fender describe it as a 'discrete' 5-way 4-pole switch (Fender part: 0078776049). It is available directly from Fender themselves, Andertons, Thomann, and probably other suppliers as well. It is approximately the same price as a regular Fender 4-pole SuperSwitch. I say the switch is 'new', but I first came across one maybe 15 years ago whilst repairing a Strat (I can't remember the model now), and at that time I hadn't seen one before and didn't know the part number - fortunately I didn't need to replace it!

So, ignoring the odd choice of name, what is it? Essentially its a double wafer switch (4-poles in total) which is a marriage of a standard 5-way switch and a 5-way SuperSwitch.

One wafer is a 'standard' double pole Stratocaster 5-way switch with the usual 'make before' break' switching action: So, four terminals on each of these two poles, with each pole having a 'common' terminal and three switched terminals.

The second wafer is a double pole SuperSwitch with 'break before make' switching action. Here each of the switch positions genuinely are discrete, so there are six terminals on each of these two poles, with each pole having a 'common' terminal and five switched terminals.

Apparently Fender use the switch on a number of recent models such as the American Pro, Elite, and Ultra HSS Stratocaster.

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-guitar-parts/bridges-and-bridge-parts/5-position---4-pole-stratocastertelecaster-discrete-pickup-selector/0078776049.html

I haven't yet looked at Fenders wiring diagrams to see how they have used the switch, but there are a few situations where this switch may be preferable to a regular SuperSwitch. For example, there are situations where you may require the extra functionality of a SuperSwitch, but the main pickup switching follows the traditional Strat sequence (B > B+M > M > M+N > N). With a normal SuperSwitch this traditional sequence requires the use of two of the four poles , and the 'break before make' switching action can lead to a brief moment of silence and/ or the occasional 'pop' when using the switch. With the Fender 'discrete' 5-way 4-pole switch the pickup selection can be accomplished with one of the 'standard' poles, leaving the other 'standard' pole, and both SuperSwitch poles free for other tasks (tone controls, splits, taps, series/parallel wiring etc).

My first thought was that I like the bridge tone control to only operate on the bridge selection (position #1), with the second tone control covering the remaining four switch positions. I could achieve this using one of the 'standard' poles (pickup selection) and one of the SuperSwitch poles (tone controls). If desired one or more of the remaining poles could be used for an auto coil split in a HSS guitar, or to mimic position #4 tone control loading with a fixed resistor and cap.

Another idea which appeals is with HSS guitars where all of the pickups are humbucking (e.g. stacked or rail noiseless 'single coils' plus a full size bridge humbucker). In this scenario I like to keep all positions hum-cancelling. One approach with a four-wire bridge humbucker is to switch the coils between series and parallel when switching from position #1 (series) to position #2 (parallel). The B+M mixed sound then retains plenty of brightness and a little quack, and importantly is still hum-cancelling (unlike with a basic split). Switching the bridge pickup coils between series and parallel can be achieved on the two SuperSwitch poles, whilst the two remaining 'standard' poles can complete pickup selection and tone control duties.

I'm sure there are many other uses for the switch, but these two ideas were just a couple that sprang to mind. Hopefully this information is useful to other modders on the Forum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    The Noughties Deluxe American Stratocaster used that selector switch in conjunction with the S-1 switch and Noiseless pickups.

In S-1 switch up mode, the eight terminal half of the selector switch delivers the traditional five sounds in the traditional manner.

In S-1 switch down mode, the twelve terminal half of the selector switch does a bunch of series and parallel coil combinations. I shall keep my opinions of the resultant sounds to myself.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited August 2022
    The Noughties Deluxe American Stratocaster used that selector switch in conjunction with the S-1 switch and Noiseless pickups.

In S-1 switch up mode, the eight terminal half of the selector switch delivers the traditional five sounds in the traditional manner.

In S-1 switch down mode, the twelve terminal half of the selector switch does a bunch of series and parallel coil combinations. I shall keep my opinions of the resultant sounds to myself.
    Yeah it's hard to see from the pic, but from your description I think mine had something similar (or maybe even exactly the same!). I wired it up as a regular 5-way switch, ignoring the superswitch part (back when I was really green at guitar electronics, rather than merely fairly green now!) and it seemed to work ok...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    The full-on Fender circuit works but, IMO, most of the extra coil permutations were not worth having. (Stacked coils noise cancelling pickups may have been part of the problem.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 401
    I rewired my strat with a superswitch and S1 to give me a huge range of options. Most of them suck...going back to stock....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Totally confused by the original post! Too technical for me, over my head! Still not sure quite what it's for ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    axisus said:
    Totally confused by the original post! Too technical for me, over my head! Still not sure quite what it's for ...
    Clever switching permutations that can't be done with either of the standard versions of the switch.

If it has a disadvantage, it's that it is itself non-standard, so if you need to replace it your options are limited - but it seems to be well-made (CRL) and shouldn't be unreliable. Unlike the S1 switch which often goes with it - although it doesn't have to.

Most of the ways Fender themselves use it seem a bit pointless though, as Funkfingers and jca74 said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    The full-on Fender circuit works but, IMO, most of the extra coil permutations were not worth having. (Stacked coils noise cancelling pickups may have been part of the problem.)
    Mine had the S1 switch too, and I think that's what died! Certainly the regular 5-way bit of the selector switch still works just fine.