SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WANTED: 168-pin DIMM (old type I think)

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
I have bought an old sampling keyboard that can use "Unbuffered (non-registered) PC133 CL=2/3 168-pin DIMM, height 40mm or less".

Anyone got a 1GB version in their bits box?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Let me know if you've not had any joy by Monday Oct 10th. Got dozens of old DIMM modules at work so may have something that suits, but away on leave until then.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Cool - appreciate that. Will PM then if I still haven't located one.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20608
    edited October 2022
    Just checked & I have several 128Mb & 256Mb you can have for free, but nothing bigger I'm afraid. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 627
    Would these be like ram sticks out of old PCs ? I have some old desktop and laptops long since unused I could check within if you can give me a link as to what I'm looking for    been meaning to clear them out for years so happy to tear them down
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20608
    bazxkr said:
    Would these be like ram sticks out of old PCs ? I have some old desktop and laptops long since unused I could check within if you can give me a link as to what I'm looking for    been meaning to clear them out for years so happy to tear them down
    Yes. The OP mentions the specification that he wants. They are the old style larger full size DIMM `Dual in-Line Memory Modules' that were used predominantly in desktop machines, not the smaller SODIMM that are common today (Small Outline Dual in-Line Memory Modules) that you find in almost all computers that have removable memory.

Exactly. The old-fashioned 168-pin type that I am looking for has two notches along the pin connector, as shown in the top module on this WIKI image:

(the lower module is more modern)
    Ok.  Thks for the pics. Think I now know what to look for. Got two old dell desktops probably 2005 and 2009 something like that at work. Will check out the ram modules tomorrow
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    The 512's are pretty common but the 1GB sticks are rare-ish and can fetch £80 on a good day. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    The 512's are pretty common but the 1GB sticks are rare-ish and can fetch £80 on a good day. 
    Oh - I should do some maths on how much I realistically need for my projects. Thanks for the heads-up. There's only one slot, so there's no chance to use a pair of 512MBs.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    goldtop said:
    I have bought an old sampling keyboard that can use "Unbuffered (non-registered) PC133 CL=2/3 168-pin DIMM, height 40mm or less".

Anyone got a 1GB version in their bits box?
    This? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175412786140
    ^ Yes, that's the one. But £100 by the time it's landed in the UK.

Prompted by Danny, I'll do my man maths and see if a 512MB will give me the working space I need for audio tracks. They seem to be a lot cheaper.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    I've got loads of RAM somewhere - I've kept pretty much everything I've ever had, and I got my first PC in 1988! However, I'm not entirely sure where it all is. I'll have a dig next time I'm in my store and see what I can find.

R,
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    I have some moderately antiquated memory at home - I'll have a look later
    OK, I've found a local PC repair guy with a 512MB for cheap, so I'm just hoping for a 1GB.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    I will have a look in my spare PC parts box at my old mans place, but it might not be for a few days.
    I've only got 256 sticks.so no good  
    ^ Thanks for looking. :)
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    Sorry, I slung them all a few months ago :#