Good set ups in Glasgow

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
Hi, anyone able to recommend someone in Glasgow/Lanarkshire area who does good set ups on Floyd style guitars? Got an Ibanez RG550 and made a hash of the set up when I changed strings for the first time. It's my first experience with Floyd style guitars.
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Guitar Workshop is superb.

I think he's shifted a lot of focus to making acoustic guitars rather than repairs but I think he still does repairs and setups.

Very good quality work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Strung Out Guitars - ask for Paul to do it if possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7736
    edited May 2022
    The luthier named Billy Finlayson does work for GuitarGuitar on Trongate, Glasgow.  You will see details of this on the following pages:
    I would have advised you to go to his website to make an enquiry, but it is currently showing a browser security risk due to an expired security certificate.  Maybe if you call GuitarGuitar (0141 552 9896) or email them (glasgow@guitarguitar.co.uk) you might get him in the store or they might give you a contact number.
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 36
    +1 for Ian at The Guitar Workshop. Unfortunately he's moving premises right now and his website says no new bookings until  'around' August. 

I've also had lots of work done by Stewart Hunter at Hunter Guitar Repair - good guy who knows his stuff, reasonable prices and good turnaround times.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    ICBM said:
    Yup, this, all day long 
  • zerolightzerolight Frets: 85
    thegummy said:
    The Guitar Workshop is superb.

I think he's shifted a lot of focus to making acoustic guitars rather than repairs but I think he still does repairs and setups.

Very good quality work.
    Ian is great. I had nut work on both my guitars. That said he's moving shops and I believe he's out of action until June or July. The great thing is you book a slot last weekend of the month and he does it while you wait. 
  • pedroC60pedroC60 Frets: 9
    Jimmy Egypt's on Great Western Road also does a great job.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    ICBM said:
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm thinking of putting my Les Paul Studio in for a new bone nut. Any idea what the going rate is? Is Paul still at Strung Out?

I'm also considering offloading the guitar and finding something with bigger frets. What's the usual process for swapping used guitars in shops? Assuming there's a used guitar in stock that is of similar value to the guitar I wish to trade against, would it be reasonable to expect a straight swap?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    BigPaulie said:

I'm thinking of putting my Les Paul Studio in for a new bone nut. Any idea what the going rate is? Is Paul still at Strung Out?
    Yes, but I don't know the current rate.

BigPaulie said:

Assuming there's a used guitar in stock that is of similar value to the guitar I wish to trade against, would it be reasonable to expect a straight swap?
    No, not even close. Even assuming the guitar belongs to the shop, they will still need to make a profit on the deal so you're unlikely to get more than about 2/3 of the value of the guitar being traded if they're of equal value. It's unlikely they would do a straight swap at all unless the incoming guitar is worth at least 50% more than the outgoing one, and it would probably need to be an easier/quicker potential sale as well - otherwise it's just far better to sell the guitar they have.

Many of the guitars in second-hand shops are not even the shop's - they're agency/commission sale on behalf of customers, so it's very unlikely a trade-in of anything like the value can be taken, or the shop is then out of pocket when the owner has been paid. It would really have to be a trade of a low-priced guitar for a much higher-priced one with pretty much the full value of what will be paid out to the owner on top, or it's a non-starter.

Sorry to be blunt, but shops need to make money, they can't do transactions which make them no money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the info.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14765
    BigPaulie said:
    I'm thinking of putting my Les Paul Studio in for a new bone nut. 

I'm also considering offloading the guitar and finding something with bigger frets.
    I should be easy enough to offload the Les Paul Studio privately for cash. (Let the buyer pay for any work that might need doing.) Squander the proceeds on a guitar that is more to your liking.

ICBM said:
    It's unlikely they would do a straight swap at all unless the incoming guitar is worth at least 50% more than the outgoing one and it would probably need to be an easier/quicker potential sale as well.
    Any Sire dealers in your vicinity? IMO, with a pickup change, the Sire L7 is a better budget Les Paul than a Gibson Studio. So is an LTD Eclipse "400" level model.

As an LP Studio ages, the finish sinks in to the wood, revealing how many 1½"   wide strips of mahogany made up the body blank. 

The back of the Sire L7 is four pieces. On the other hand, it retails for under £500. I nearly vomited when I read that the Gibson LP Studio now retails for £1200 and upwards!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    This particular Studio is an excellent guitar.
    Were the frets taller it would be ideal.
    It's a tangerine burst model, so I can clearly see that it has a 1 piece back and a lovely 2 piece plain maple top.

It just doesn't feel quite as slinky as other Studios I've owned (all with translucent finishes and max 2 piece backs) and I'm assuming it's because of the low fret wire. I measured it today and taking the average of several measurements it comes in at 2.25mm wide and 1.16mm tall which doesn't actually seen that low on paper.

I'm thinking of having the nut replaced as a final attempt to get it to feel "right".
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    edited October 2022
    Well try a capo before throwing money at a new nut. If a capo on fret one or two changes the feel a lot , then yep a nut job ( love that phrase) may be indicated. If the capo make zero difference then neither will a nut job.
    you can easily test if the nut slots are too high.. fret a string on 3rd fret ( use the capo I told you to get
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Just try a capo on first, if it feels better then get nut slots lowered. You don’t need a new nut if slots aren’t deep enough.
  • PALPAL Frets: 561
    Learn how to do it yourself because there will be times when something needs to be done and you should really be able
      to take care of your guitars. Also a tech will never know exactly how you want it to feel like but you do your guitar is a tactile
      thing and feel is very personal. The only time you may need a tech is if you have fret issues.
      Also take into account the money you can save and spend on strings etc. God luck.