Black headstock finishing - like vintage juniors ?

What's Hot
Any tips on getting a nice vintage style Black finish on a headstock ? 

I have tried grain filler and auto paints before but never been fully happy. 

Fuji spray kit should be here in next week or so, so I am trying to go for better approaches from now on.  

Any tips ? Either nitro or water lacquer based.  
Leaning towards water based as I have a less than ideal set up with the workshop doubling as the laundry room ! 

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just to rule out the obvious, what material are you painting onto, and what weren't you happy with before?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    Wot? No black veneer on top of the neck wood?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    A vintage junior is just black nitro over the mahogany.

A vintage LP is black nitro over the white holly veneer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Just to rule out the obvious, what material are you painting onto, and what weren't you happy with before?
    onto shellac sealed Mahogany and using auto paint aerosol in satin black

Too much sinkage into the grain - even after using Rustins grain filler and sanding back lightly with 600 grit twice I still have plenty of small pinholes/grain dips 

Thats after about 8 coats - maybe I am being too light with the spray, trying to avoid any pooling 

• davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    It sounds like you have the right approach, just need more clear coats then a careful wet sand. I recommend nitro as I've never had success with car paints, at least not from Halfords.

This is a DC junior, just grain fill, sealer, black then clear wet sanded back. This one didn't get a full polish but there is no vusible grain.

Cheers.   Its getting there now. 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    davros said:
    It sounds like you have the right approach, just need more clear coats then a careful wet sand. I recommend nitro as I've never had success with car paints, at least not from Halfords.

This is a DC junior, just grain fill, sealer, black then clear wet sanded back. This one didn't get a full polish but there is no vusible grain.

Thats because Halfords paint is rubbish, go to the local place that supplies car painters, they will mix your colour of choice into a rattle can, far, far superior to Halfords, BnQ etc
    You would be amazed how many professional car repairers use rattle cans for small jobs
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I remembered I had a stash of nitro cans from Steve that went into storage when I moved house 18 months ago - and voila - a can of black nitro reappeared.
    All is well! 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    edited October 2022
    For what it's worth, I've found using Superglue as a grainfiller on big open grained woods an exceptional remedy.
    Ash, mahogany and an unknown timber.. possibly limba? all filled beautifully with medium viscosity glue. 
    I used kitchen roll cut into small foldable squares, working quickly to cover as much area as possible before it "goes off" 
    no shrinkage and levels perfectly.
    A small bowl of water at hand to dispose of the used paper, also a well ventilated area is essential. 
    Ta.  Very useful