Uneven Neck Pocket

What's Hot
Hi, has anyone else owned a guitar on which the neck pocket was uneven? I've got a Kramer that I could never get set up quite right and it transpires that the neck sits 1.5mm higher on the bass side compared to the treble side, so one cannot set the string height evenly across the neck? 

What have people done to rectify this situation in the past?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Depends which side is the correct depth.

If the bass side is correct i would route level and add a 1.5mm veneer over the whole pocket floor, although a shim may also achieve the same thing if there is enough height adjustment to make it work at the bridge

If the treble side is correct then just routing it level should be enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    We spoke about the Kramer 1984 earlier and if the neck is not even with the bridge bottomed against the body you could indeed end up with the action on one side seeming a bit higher than the other . Bring it in and we'll take a look

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    Bring it in and we'll take a look.
    This.

If there is a simple explanation, it will soon be identified. 

If the neck pocket floor needs work, it is better to have the correct tools to make a proper job of it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9017
    I've only ever had one guitar like that.  I got it 2nd-hand.  It wasn't a very expensive one, but shouldn't have been like that for the price I paid.  The depth at the bass side was OK, but at some point during assembly or perhaps during previous ownership somebody had taken a chisel to the neck pocket, gouging out a chunk of wood and leaving an uneven floor.

I used some of the 2-part epoxy putty you used to be able to get that was like a mini Battenberg cake.  A rectangular stick with one part as the core and the other as a skin like the marzipan on the cake bar.  You cut a piece off and mix it well with your fingers.  I covered the heel with cling film, smeared a thin layer into the side of the neck pocket that was too deep and gouged, then squeezed the neck in and clamped it in a level position.  It left a permanent very hard shim and this method worked very well.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 446
    We spoke about the Kramer 1984 earlier and if the neck is not even with the bridge bottomed against the body you could indeed end up with the action on one side seeming a bit higher than the other . Bring it in and we'll take a look
    We did and I will, not planning on tackling it myself!

it’s not something I’ve ever seen before, possible as this is my first guitar from the Gibson family, with their world renowned QC ;-)