Monty’s Guitars 5 way Tele loom

What's Hot
BrioBrio Frets: 2269
edited October 2022 in Making & Modding
I was curious about what a 5 way loom would add to the equation. My Tele is now my favourite guitar and I’ve decided that Twisted Teles sound great so I’m happy. But of course there are always GASsy niggles in my mind.
Well I bought the loom and finally got round to installing it.
I put the Twisted Teles back in the AmPro II and it went in fine apart from the need to add a separate earth to the bridge pickup baseplate.
The guitar was a bit of a pain as it has a weird rout in the control cavity with a ridge at the bottom betwixt the two pots but it all fitted.
The sound is glorious.
The centre three positions are standard but everything seem clearer and slightly brighter. The two additional positions are right back when the bridge and neck are in series but most of the neck is bled off to ground just fattening the sound without cutting the top end.
At the other end of the switch we have the real gem, both pickups in series. With the Twisted pickups this sounds full, warm and organic (?) and with a good touch responsive amp makes dynamic playing a joy.
I don't know how much the quality components, neat wiring and 50s wiring add to the sound but this has been a real eye opener.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    edited October 2022
    I use the Schaller Megaswitch M SS3 circuit. This puts the three traditional sounds in the familiar places. Parallel, out-of-phase goes between bridge and both. Series, in phase goes between both and neck. The Schaller circuit adds a capacitor to make the faux Stratocaster "in between" sound more convincing.

The Schaller switch fits into vintage spec control cavities with the semi-circular end. The Freeway 3B3 only drops in to the modern Fender cavity with the slightly squared off end.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    £100 for some universally cheap components, laughable IMHO,
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    I have a soldering iron but no wire or components.
    If I buy them I end up with stock I'm unlikely to use.  I'm old (70) and I doubt I'll be doing much in the way of guitar work in the future. Just the easiest way to get this done and what they supplied seems decent stuff and was very well assembled.
    I'm happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom