New Partscaster made out of.... well parts.

What's Hot

This came from me having the neck from my first proper electric laying around and wanting to do something with it. It's from a Squier Strat which I bought from my sisters Kayes Catalogue in around 1992. Having loads of parts laying around, I decided to see if I could put something together using nothing other than what I already had. The body is an Olympic white 50th anniversary Squier Strat body that I bought off Ebay years ago. I had some cheap Wilkos spray paint in the garage which I've used before with pretty good results, so I decided to respray the body. It was pretty beaten up already, so knowing I wanted a bit of a relic, I did minimal prep on it and then gave it five or six coats, then flattened and polished it, before beating it up a bit. I then gave the whole body a coat of dark wax before again buffing it up. It looks a lot more aged and grubby in the flesh, but I couldn't capture it in my photos. The bridge, jack socket, strap buttons and neck plate is from my original Squier, but everything else, including the machine heads, wiring loom and pickguard came from my parts bin. The only thing I have had to buy was the pickups which are a set of Vanson vintage alnico fives. Cost me forty quid, and they're pretty damn good to be honest. Nice and spanky.

Anyway, enough waffle, here's the pics....

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow! Wish I had your parts bin! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Nice work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    I like that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    edited October 2022
    The ebay belt sander brigade could learn a lot from that, instead of trying of trying to simulate forearm wear on 2mm thick polyurethane. Nice work.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Very nice, tasteful ageing.

When do you start your next one?!

It can get addicitve
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    That's a jolly nice strat. 
    Good to hear about the pickups too. I've recently installed a set of Vanson AlNiCo II humbuckers and they're great. Also surprisingly cheap. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Nice one. It looks better than most of the Fender Custom Shop output these days.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Perfection
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

• MilkMilk Frets: 84
    you have made to me and probably many people on here the perfect strat, the paint came up amazing
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Thats looks great and the aged finish is very nicely done

I love that colour - it goes so well with that fretboard.    whats the shade of Wilkos paint you used ? 

Cheers 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

Thanks @PeteC

The can doesn't actually have the name of the colour on it, I just chose the one that looked nearest to Daphne Blue that I could find. This is what the can looked like.

I had previously sprayed this partscaster last year, and had a spare can, so used it on my next one, basically to save me having to buy some more. I can get a pretty good finish once flattened and polished, however it does take several days to fully harden.