How to remove a speaker in my Engl combo?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
edited September 2014 in Amps
Hi all,

I've got a new speaker arriving and thought I'd prep the amp - but I can't get the speaker out!

I've removed the four screws at the front and thought the grill would drop out - but it doesn't as it's seated behind the front sides.

This is the amp from the back - so you can see the screws that hold in the speaker are at the front of the amp:

I've unscrewed the 'amp' part and thought the board within might move but it doesn't seem to.  However, I can't quite remove the 'amp' as it's still attached by the spring reverb cable which is very stiff/fragile - and I don't want to damage it.  How do I take it out?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    You squeeze the grey connector - the tab you can see on the far side beyond the wires is a lever which undoes the clip that holds it in place - and it should just pull off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

Not that I know the amp at all but...

Seems total idiocy to have front loaded the speaker if you have to strip so much to get it out!

Again, don't have the full picture but it seems to me that if the driver was rear mounted you could have "wiggled" it out, maybe remove the two OP valves for safety?

Dave.

ecc83 said:

Seems total idiocy to have front loaded the speaker if you have to strip so much to get it out!

If you think that's bad, try getting the chassis out of an Ashdown Failing Angel…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

If you think that's bad, try getting the chassis out of an Ashdown Failing Angel…

Heh! The S 1 45 combo can be a bit of a trial! Let me know if you get one in.

Dave.

• @ICBM (enormous thanks, as always) will want to strangle me now...but after reading TONS about Celestions, I read too much good stuff to ignore this at £65 delivered, brand new.  And it sounds like it will do just the job :)

That was a bit of a faff but I wouldn't be too stressed doing it again, having it done it once.  So many things I should have done 20 years ago...but I'm learning, tiny bit by tiny bit.

My band, Red For Dissent
    No, I won't want to strangle you - I'm not a fan of them myself but I know a lot of people are and it's very personal thing. If it sounds good to you, it is good - and well done for not giving up when it looked tricky.

:)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, that's a relief :)  I guess I know the amp best and perhaps can't put into words quite what I was after.  When I read up on this, it seemed the natural choice.  And, so far, I am very, very happy.  Particularly with the ECC81.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • What do you think of the Engl? I came quite close to buying a Screamer 50 combo but I just found it a bit bright. I'm wondering if that's why you are looking at new speakers?

I really like the Eminence speakers in H&K amps. They seem to match them well. I wasn't so keen on the ones that came with a Roadkill 2x12 I had made...I think they were Private Jacks. I ended up swapping them for V30s and I have to say the celestions were so much smoother. I've stuck with V30s ever since.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    What do you think of the Engl? I came quite close to buying a Screamer 50 combo but I just found it a bit bright. I'm wondering if that's why you are looking at new speakers?

I really like the Eminence speakers in H&K amps. They seem to match them well. I wasn't so keen on the ones that came with a Roadkill 2x12 I had made...I think they were Private Jacks. I ended up swapping them for V30s and I have to say the celestions were so much smoother. I've stuck with V30s ever since.
    I think they tend to be voiced on the bright side, and I find that the upper mid spike on V30's that they use on most of their amps doesn't help it. They certainly cut through though.
    I have reservations about their build quality and customer service, but a lot of them have terrible resale value so you can try a second hand one for not too much money.
    The Screamer 50 combos can be had for under £500 with the extra footswitch.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I've found the customer service okay. They've provided schematics, etc. although the language barrier maybe makes it harder.

I've definitely found that an ECC81 and smoother speaker has transformed my Engl for the better.

My band, Red For Dissent