SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

VAT when buying from Stewmac.com

What's Hot
kmgrkmgr Frets: 1
Has anybody had experience on buying from stewmac.com in the US and delivering in the UK. I’m buying as an individual not a business.

I want to buy some tools that will cost about £100 with shipping. I believe there is no import duties charge as the order is below £135, but what about VAT?

Also is the £135 the total cost with shipping or just the cost of the products?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They include the shipping in the amount, factor 20% VAT plus the courier handling charge which can vary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    With some things it may be a better option to do two smaller orders.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Typically, Stewmac will use a carrier like FedEx, who will deliver and bill you for any import/VAT that needs to be paid.  Normally you should receive notification by text or email what the duty is and a link to payment.

They make it ridiculously easy, in my experience.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• moremore Frets: 230
    If you sign up for a years membership, I think it is a about £ 4O you get free shipping for the life time of the membership . Also , they seem to have a 20% sale every now and again . If your not in a hurry , just check every week, and a sale will come round eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    You can choose show and cheaper or quick and a bit more expensive.

I generally go for quick which arrives in a few days via DHL who then bill you for the VAT and service charge.

My last order I chose slow which comes via ParcelForce who hold it a week before you get the bill for VAT etc. which you have to pay up front before they release the parcel.

You pays your money...
  • kmgrkmgr Frets: 1
    Thank you all for the info.

How can I estimate the courier service charge? 

In Stewmac website the "International Express" shipping method shows only shipping fees. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    £12 seems to be the going rate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 164
    I've got free shipping with them and the last 2 times I got them to send me something it arrived within a few days and I wasn't charged VAT by anyone.