Kramer Baretta Special - Let's mod this

What's Hot
So, I've had the GAS to have something that harks back to the 80s guitar scene, Charvel, Kramer etc etc However, I wanted to avoid a locking trem and didn't want to spend too much. I saw one of these and pulled the trigger. 

I researched and all have said that the body and neck are well made - which indeed it did impress me. The frets were actually really good, crowned and rounded no sharp ends - just needed to be polished. The Neck itself is a 12 inch radius but has shoulders. 
The body is painted well, a blemish by the back of neck pocket. nothing awful though. 

The hardware is cheap, rickety. Is to be expected. Volume Pot is like on/off - however the pickup is pretty alright. So this is a good canvas to build something upon. 

So, I got my creative cap on and came up with something like this. 

One of the first things I'm going to do is change all the hardwire. Give me some ideas on what hardware to get if you want to. 

Black tremolo Bridge - (52mm) 
Black Locking Tuners - (10mm) - DONE
Pot - something that I can maybe split the pickup 
Nut - Graphtech Tusq - can't go wrong.  
Eventually the pickup. 

VF-84 vinyl sticker because Tomcats were the shit in the 80s

I'm trying not to break the bank with this as it's part of the challenge I'm giving myself to find solutions. 

I've already started by getting some Locking tuners from Northwest guitars. Pretty decent considering the price-point. I also painted the inside of the truss road cover in blue sparkle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got a black Kluson bridge on one of mine - works very well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkaParka Frets: 11
    I’ve been tempted at various points to get a Baretta Special as a mod platform. Was thinking about the same locking tuners as you’ve got, a Tusq nut and the Vega Trem - price of that trem has always been what put me off the idea. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    RedFalcon said:
    I beg to differ.

I find that tilt-back, droopy headstocks and non-locking vibrato systems are a tuning stability nightmare - even if the vibrato baseplate is set down against the top of the guitar body.

The black nut in your photographs is slotted straight. This will cause the strings to snag on the tuner side. (They eventually chew away the sides of their slots!) When the nut slots are splayed towards their respective tuner posts, the strings still manage to snag after bends or vibrato use. Locking machineheads can not cure this.

I do not expect anyone to take my word for this. Instead, I suggest getting a second opinion from @ICBM ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RedFalconRedFalcon Frets: 212
    edited February 2022
    Parka said:
    I’ve been tempted at various points to get a Baretta Special as a mod platform. Was thinking about the same locking tuners as you’ve got, a Tusq nut and the Vega Trem - price of that trem has always been what put me off the idea. 
    I was looking at the vegatrem but as mentioned the price point is off putting and that I'm content with just diving down. 

In the end I went with the Axesrus black tremolo, lets see if its any good. 

RedFalcon said:
    I beg to differ.

I find that tilt-back, droopy headstocks and non-locking vibrato systems are a tuning stability nightmare - even if the vibrato baseplate is set down against the top of the guitar body.

The black nut in your photographs is slotted straight. This will cause the strings to snag on the tuner side. (They eventually chew away the sides of their slots!) When the nut slots are splayed towards their respective tuner posts, the strings still manage to snag after bends or vibrato use. Locking machineheads can not cure this.

I do not expect anyone to take my word for this. Instead, I suggest getting a second opinion from @ICBM ;;

Absolutely, your concern is valid. However, I'm hoping to alleviate some of the said stability issues by having a nut that is "self-lubricating". So the string has more of a chance to move back into position and not get snagged even with such an angle against it.

The locking tuners are mainly there for me to change strings easily because I'm terrible at wrapping the strings around the posts. I can never get it to be nice and tidy.  

• ParkaParka Frets: 11
    RedFalcon said:
    In the end I went with the Axesrus black tremolo, lets see if its any good. 
    Cool. Hope that works out for you.
    edited February 2022
    Change the design motif as the parts are scarce

So - just an update - the Graphic came and looks awesome!

Bridge from Axesrus fits but the block gets in the way!!!! D'oH! Let's try another from WD music!

Pickup surround doesn't fit either! it's too tall and not wide enough
    Anyone know where I can find another blue one?
    edited November 2022
    To follow up with the end of this modding journey. 

The nut was replaced with a Graptech tusk nut, the neck was sanded to a satin finish, and fretboard slightly rolled. 

I went with a much more electric blue aesthetic. Got some blue anodised strap buttons. 
    It's a really cool guitar and fun to play. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom