Happy NGD project to me 12str

What's Hot
LesgrandepotatoLesgrandepotato Frets: 138
edited November 2022 in Making & Modding
Bit of an unexpected NGD, Facebook market place yielded a B&M Maverick 12str. Sold as a prop as it doesnt play…. Everyone likes a challenge. 

So it seems to tune ok - well on the 10strings it has. Action is pretty high, but the bridge doesn’t seem to be peeling off the soundboard which bodes well. 

So the problem we have is that the G string buzzes horribly (I think behind the bridge).

So my first plan is fresh set of strings, possibly with a new set of tuners. Then shim the bridge up a bit and then see if the action can come down a bit with a tweak on the truss rod.

Thoughst and advice welcome!

So far it seems worth the tenner I paid for it! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited November 2022
    These are a tolerably decent Japanese (I think, later ones might be Korean) acoustic, and might be out of the same factory who contracted to several other makers including Fender.

If the action is already too high, ramp the string holes to create a better break angle instead of raising the saddle. That will keep the action more friendly and also not increase the bellying force on the top.

You can probably fix the tuners by dismantling them, tapping the side hooks slightly tighter if they're too sloppy, and greasing the gears. If the gears are visibly worn out they may be better replaced though. Sometimes you might find the screw holes into the wood have stripped as well, in which case the glue and toothpick method to fix them works well.

Good luck!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @ICBM had a proper looksee. The bridge looks a funny shape to me. I’d expect it to have a kind of gentle half moon shape. It’s very much triangular with the bass strings high. 
    The bridge is actually lower than the wooden string holes hence the odd sounds. 

It seems there are two threaded holes at each end of the bridge. There witness marks in the wood below. But no bolts (thumbscrews?) to adjust. I suspect if I can get the plastic/ bone? insert sat nicely then there is a nice enough MIJ guitar in this one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom