SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

sorted: Jazz archtop 15" or 16"

What's Hot
spir4Lspir4L Frets: 89
edited December 2022 in Guitars £
Hi, 
I am looking to buy a jazz archtop guitar. Looking for something smaller than 17 inches (at the lower bout), ideally 15 or 16 inches, but can consider up to 16.5 (that's really my limit).
1 11/16 nut width is a requirement.
Open to high quality guild and ibanez, hofner, gibson, d'aquisto, anything else.

Budget is £2000 but can stretch up to £2500.

Please show me what you have!

I am located in North London
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spir4Lspir4L Frets: 89
    carlos said:
    Thanks! But I forgot to mention I am not a fan of the 1 3/4 nut width. I am looking for a standard 1 11/16.
  • I've got a Guild Neward Street X-175 for sale for 850. The lower bout is 17" but because it is a relatively slim width it feels very conmfortable. I don't notice much difference between that and my USA Guild X-150.

For that price you could also get another Far East archtop and have enough left to buy a Tubescreamer haha.
    I've got a Guild Neward Street X-175 for sale for 850. The lower bout is 17" but because it is a relatively slim width it feels very conmfortable. I don't notice much difference between that and my USA Guild X-150.

For that price you could also get another Far East archtop and have enough left to buy a Tubescreamer haha.
    Why don't you sell me the X-150 instead ?  ;)
  • Haha, that guitar gets buried with me. In 30 years of playing I have never bonded so well with an instrument.

Honestly though, for 850 you get a lot with the NS X-175. Sound wise it's close to the X-150 but it has jumbo frets which I don't like.
  • Actually, if you like the X-150, there is an X-180 for sale on Ebay by Norms Old Hat guitar shop for 2K. The X-180 was just a tarted up X-150 with cooler binding and the gold engraved tailpiece that usually only goes on the high end Guilds.

I spoke to Norm on the phone about this very guitar, and he said it was from his private collection, in mint condition.

It's a small 16" lower bout (smaller than my Westerly X-150), two humbuckers, sounds like it could be a good choice for you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2022
    Actually, if you like the X-150, there is an X-180 for sale on Ebay by Norms Old Hat guitar shop for 2K. The X-180 was just a tarted up X-150 with cooler binding and the gold engraved tailpiece that usually only goes on the high end Guilds.

I spoke to Norm on the phone about this very guitar, and he said it was from his private collection, in mint condition.

It's a small 16" lower bout (smaller than my Westerly X-150), two humbuckers, sounds like it could be a good choice for you!
    I had seen that and I contacted the seller a couple days ago but they didn't reply yet. I didn't know they also had a physical shop thanks for pointing that out I will give them a call.

Haha, that guitar gets buried with me. In 30 years of playing I have never bonded so well with an instrument.

Honestly though, for 850 you get a lot with the NS X-175. Sound wise it's close to the X-150 but it has jumbo frets which I don't like.
    I knew you weren't, just a joke really  :) ! It's a great guitar isn't it? I might contact you in PM to ask you some advice as I don't have experience at all with Guild guitars.
    Sorted, thanks everyone!
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 539
    What did you go for? 
    I found a gibson es-275 cherry on gumtree  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 133
    If it doesn't work out, I have a ES-275 in Frost Gold.
    greejn said:
    If it doesn't work out, I have a ES-275 in Frost Gold.
    In frost gold? I have never seen one!  :o
    Bought from the forum, will be at forum rates.
    edited December 2022
    There's a Comins GCS-16-1 on eBay that looks amazing if someone else is looking (they don't show up that often)!

It comes with a very sad message from the seller in the description  :'(
    Jazz just isn’t for me, unfortunately.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited December 2022
    Congrats on the ES-275 - lovely guitar. I did see that one, and I was tempted, but I had the same model that I bought and sold at around £1600 (albeit 3 years ago) and couldn't justify the extra, although prices have gone up significantly in that time. If I hadn't, I'd have been interested in that one. Although they were the cheaper ES-275, they had the rosewood fretboard, whereas the more expensive 'burst versions had Richlite, if I remember correctly, which seemed odd.

The gold one that @greejn has was mine and is the thinlinline version, which looks great and has an absolutely beautiful neck.

Call me Dave.
    Thanks for the input and picture Dave!
    edited December 2022
    DB1 said:
    Although they were the cheaper ES-275, they had the rosewood fretboard, whereas the more expensive 'burst versions had Richlite, if I remember correctly, which seemed odd.
    That's good to know!  

Yeah I remember shops were getting rid of ES-275 with prices under 2k, but exactly it was 3 years ago! Now you can't find a ES-335 for 2k  :#