SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Gibson LP Custom ‘54 Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    Brize said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    donner said:
    This one, is it sold?
    That's lovely. Is there something special about a 97 ?
    No - see above. The newer the better, all else being equal.

the older 90s ones are better
    I'd debate the older 90s ones are better. I think thats urban muth. The custom shop stuff now is far better
    I've owned and played a boatload of Gibson Custom Shop guitars. I maintain that you should judge the guitar on its merits and that there are good and bad examples from every year. On balance, though, I think you're more likely to get a good one after 2013 when they changed to hide glue - those guitars just feel more resonant and alive to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TDubs said:
    HoraceB said:
    One on Reverb currently for £4,495 

This one was sat on eBay for ages with another private seller in Ireland. Eventually they kept dropping the price and I think it sold, to its current seller for maybe as little as £3k, which given the mods, was probably the right price. At least the current seller has tried to right the wrongs in terms of the mods.

thats my guitar..it was more then 3k plus flights..hotel costs.
    replacement parts costs and labour costs to get it to where it is now.

Yeah, don't forget to factor the previous owner's aeroplane ticket into the value of a guitar!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been looking at this model too.   Some of the clips I’ve heard have been great

I’ve read that in some examples, there is a lack of treble, almost a muffled tone. Others are fine

I also hope they’ve ditched that OTT yellow binding . 
    I’d expect some - that actually looks great -
    but it just detracts from the overall aesthetic  if the yellow lacquer is , well, far  too yellow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve been looking at this model too.   Some of the clips I’ve heard have been great

I’ve read that in some examples, there is a lack of treble, almost a muffled tone. Others are fine

I also hope they’ve ditched that OTT yellow binding . 
    I’d expect some - that actually looks great -
    but it just detracts from the overall aesthetic  if the yellow lacquer is , well, far  too yellow.
    For a while it was almost fluorescent - it looked ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zhivagozhivago Frets: 17
    edited December 2022
    A used one popped up on guitarguitar...definitely not cheap, but here it is:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/pxp221112396210006-8939755--gibson-custom-shop-54-les-paul-custom-ebony-pre-owne

*edit*  I just realised it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Apologies.
    zhivago said:
    A used one popped up on guitarguitar...definitely not cheap, but here it is:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/pxp221112396210006-8939755--gibson-custom-shop-54-les-paul-custom-ebony-pre-owne

*edit*  I just realised it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Apologies.
    Looks like a 1999 model. Quite heavy and with weird tuners.
  • Blaendulais said:
    JR-GibboMan said:
    Brize said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    donner said:
    This one, is it sold?

I'd debate the older 90s ones are better. I think thats urban muth. The custom shop stuff now is far better

Just to recap..your opinion is the modern custom shop stuff is better than the 90s Custom Shop stuff?

Yep by a stretch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1091
    Still looking 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 665
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    donner said:
    This one, is it sold?

I've owned and played a boatload of Gibson Custom Shop guitars. I maintain that you should judge the guitar on its merits and that there are good and bad examples from every year. On balance, though, I think you're more likely to get a good one after 2013 when they changed to hide glue - those guitars just feel more resonant and alive to me.
    I heard of tonewoods before but never toneglue
    JD50 said:
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    donner said:
    This one, is it sold?

Do some research - it's not cork-sniffery.
  • Brize said:
    JD50 said:
    Brize said:I think you're more likely to get a good one after 2013 when they changed to hide glue - those guitars just feel more resonant and alive to me.
    It absolutely is cork-sniffery. I know hide glue has its adherents (especially in the acoustic world) and it has genuine advantages when it comes to guitar repair but the tonal advantages, assuming they are even perceptible with a solid wood guitar, are firmly in the rarified world of cork sniffing.
    edited December 2022
    Brize said:
    JD50 said:
    Brize said:I think you're more likely to get a good one after 2013 when they changed to hide glue - those guitars just feel more resonant and alive to me.
    It absolutely is cork-sniffery. I know hide glue has its adherents (especially in the acoustic world) and it has genuine advantages when it comes to guitar repair but the tonal advantages, assuming they are even perceptible with a solid wood guitar, are firmly in the rarified world of cork sniffing.
    I don't claim to be an expert on such matters, but guitars need to resonate, especially between the neck and the body. Having a glass-like brittle glue joining the two is likely to allow far more resonance than a rubbery-type glue.

All I can tell you is that, having played many Gibson Custom Shop guitars from all eras, the guitars are better from 2013 onwards, all else being equal. Whether this is the hide glue, removal of the truss rod 'condom' or other changes I don't know, but the difference is entirely perceptible to me and I'm sufficiently unsophisticated that these types of changes generally leave me rolling my eyes.

At present I have 20 Gibson CS guitars, 4 of which are prior to the 2013 changes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Still looking. 
    Bit of a random one here, but worth mentioning so others that are looking for the same model guitar are aware.

Was PM’d on here offering the guitar that I’m looking for with this pic.

https://ibb.co/WHY66pp

He sent me more pics, we discussed a price we were both happy with, and we were working out how to make it work. I asked for proof of a driving licence and a utility bill which he kindly obliged. I had a busy few days coming up as I was working away so I asked to give it a couple of days before making payment/posting so that I was home when we did the transaction. However, inbetween that time I saw the same guitar on Gumtree. I messaged the seller and questioned why it was for sale on gumtree when we had agreed a deal, he then claimed it wasn’t him selling it and had no idea how this pictures got on there. Cue smell a rat.

I asked him to place the utility bill next to the guitar and send me a picture, he said he would and then went quiet. I chased him up and he messaged back after (conveniently) deciding he was keeping the guitar now.

The search was back on, and I remembered I had spoken with someone on Facebook about one a couple of months before. I traced back the message, and lo and behold - the same pictures of the same guitar! I messaged him to see if he still had it, and I’ve had no reply.

Very strange, I’ve still no idea what’s went on, but just a warning to others. Someone less sceptical than myself could easily fall for it.
  • hide glue has its adherents
     =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Kylef , that’s an interesting cautionary tale.  
    One thing that puzzles me,
     is the driver’s license and utility bill photos that he sent…

Presumably those are fake or stolen ?
    Did you try and investigate that identity ?

good luck with your search- they’re great looking guitars  
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    GuitarGuitar currently have a used one
  • Thanks @TDubs for the heads up. 

I offered him my 54 custom at £4375. A very fair price considering the 54 in guitarguitar that it’s been refinished at they sell over £5000. 

However, the yellow binding of mine does not convince many people. I don’t know why they did it that way from the factory but all the 2014-2015 limited edition 54 custom have the yellow binding.

i can only wish @Kylef in his search :)
    New year bump