How Do I Get This Off ?

What's Hot
With the continuing cold spell it occurred to me that I should bring the remaining “projects” in from the freezing cold shed for fear of damage to the finish. I picked up the body for my Jeff Beck “Tele Gib” tribute project which has been resting on some rubber perforated anti slip mat and found this 

https://imgur.com/gallery/nu5ihTl

It looks like the anti slip mat and the guitars finish have become one… 

Any idea how I can get this off without trashing the finish ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20599
    Wow, that's unfortunate. You could try starting by cleaning using Naptha (liquid lighter fuel). It shouldn't harm even nitro finishes. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is another solvent that you could try.
    As ever, start with small areas first.
    You might have luck searching for how to remove non slip rug pad marks from wooden floors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Patent it first then call Fender up. Could be the successor to the "Road Worn" series
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Looks like one of those alligator skin Trussarts.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Isopropyl alcohol didn't do a nitro finish any favours when I tried to clean a mark off a guitar. Luckily for once I did test in a small area on got away with it.
  • SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    I do not have a clue if nitro safe but Autoglym Traffic Film remover sprang to mind
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    Yeah don't do alcohol on nitro, but painter's panel wipe aka pre-wipe, panel degreaser among other things might do it. Contains naphtha among other things - made for cleaning without attacking paint, inc nitro. Excellent general cleaner for all sorts, fretboard gack, anything oily etc etc.
    Here's a smaller quantity bottle, though haven't used this brand - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304034662753

But the rubbery bits may have eaten into the paint and you could be left with a textured finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom