Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So I bought this body from Guitarbuild...

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I would let GB know about the issue so they can do better next time, even if you decide to redrill and add more space for wires yourself

These things can get very frustrating if you dont notice until after you have done the finish

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    It's a T-style with an LP control layout...

Question is, how am I supposed to get the 3 braided wires from the switch and then the pickup wires through these measly sized holes??? Am I missing something here?

That looks like a great body, though I wish you hadn’t posted it! I’ve been collecting parts for a strat and will be pulling the trigger on a guitarbuild body in the new year (gets the postal rush out the way) - if I hadn’t just bought the pickups for the strat I’d be thinking about using one of these bodies with a strat neck (not sure if it would work but is certainly be looking into it) good luck with your build I’m looking forward to seeing it progress/finished. Maybe I need another t-style! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    I would let GB know about the issue so they can do better next time, even if you decide to redrill and add more space for wires yourself

These things can get very frustrating if you dont notice until after you have done the finish

I am definitely going to send them some pictures and ask them how I am supposed to wire it up based on the holes provided :+1:
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I certainly would.  Maybe you will get a partial refund if they suggest anything that involves using tools or drill bits that you would have to buy to correct it.  I wonder if colo-rectal surgeons have to do this much examination and planning about the size of apertures before using the endoscope?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ck said:
    That looks like a great body, though I wish you hadn’t posted it! I’ve been collecting parts for a strat and will be pulling the trigger on a guitarbuild body in the new year (gets the postal rush out the way) - if I hadn’t just bought the pickups for the strat I’d be thinking about using one of these bodies with a strat neck (not sure if it would work but is certainly be looking into it) good luck with your build I’m looking forward to seeing it progress/finished. Maybe I need another t-style! 
    Thanks @M1ck don't hold your breath tho, it's taken me 3 + years to get this one this far  :o

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    I don't know that that is, but I like it. Needs paint, obvs, but ace anyway. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    I don't know that that is, but I like it. Needs paint, obvs, but ace anyway. 
    It's a t-type, jazz-style thingy with P90s innit :D
  • Emailed GB this morning, so we'll see what they come back with...
  • That hole in the corner is far too high in the cavity, surely?  The wires are going to hit the side of the pickup.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• So this is what I messaged to them:

"I would like to know your thoughts on wiring the body as to me the holes drilled for the wires do not look big enough - I can get 2 braided wires through, but normally for a toggle switch there are 3 from the switch plus the pickup wire. Also, the hole from the switch cavity runs straight into the neck pickup  - as opposed to underneath the pickup, so there is no room for both the pickup and the wire(s). Here are some links to pics. Let me know if you need any more..."

Reply:
    "A 6mm hole is big enough for a maximum of 4 braided wires, however you can get slimmer wire if you’re struggling from Allparts. Also, if you think your wire will hit the pickup you can nibble a bit out where the wire sweeps down in the pickup cavity.  As with all guitar building some fitting will be required."
  • BillDL said:
    What depths are the shallowest and deepest parts of the neck pickup rout?
    @BillDL ;

About 19mm at the shallowest. I can't get my ruler in to measure the deeper route for the legs.
  • That hole in the corner is far too high in the cavity, surely?  The wires are going to hit the side of the pickup.
    They told me to nibble out at the bottom of the hole. Really? And they reckon 4 braided wires will fit through the hole - err, I don't think so  :s
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    is the hole from bridge pickup to control cavity the same size?   

That often needs 5 braided wires, 3 from the switch and 2 from the pickups.   If you have pickups with 4-conductor wires  it will be even tighter.  This is difficult in a 10mm hole, especially when refitting older pickups

you might technically be able to fit 4 braided wires in a 6mm hole if it was rigid wire.  The braided stuff tends to catch and bend, even if you cut all stray bits of braid cleanly, and it gets more flexible the older it gets and more times you refit.

I do agree with their point about guitar building requiring fitting, but would have hoped they took the feedback on board and even offered to re-drill larger holes. 

Nibbling out under the channel in the pickup cavity will help get the pickup in.  I would probably do this at both sides of the neck pickup cavity, and nibble out a wiring channel on the bottom to connect the holes. and give plenty of room for the pickup

Are you using pickup rings?  Will the screw hit that channel?
  • It's pretty close ;

The hole in the bridge cavity is slightly bigger, but not by much. 8mm at a squeeze I'd say.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444

Reply:
    "A 6mm hole is big enough for a maximum of 4 braided wires, however you can get slimmer wire if you’re struggling from Allparts. Also, if you think your wire will hit the pickup you can nibble a bit out where the wire sweeps down in the pickup cavity.  As with all guitar building some fitting will be required."
    That's not the most helpful or understanding of replies.

OK, if you're done a few and are happy using the nibbler to rework your guitar body, fair enough.  But you probably wouldn't have emailed them in the first place if that was the case, you'd just have got to work nibbling.

Is there anyone near to you who's got a nibbler?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

Reply:
    That's not the most helpful or understanding of replies.

OK, if you're done a few and are happy using the nibbler to rework your guitar body, fair enough.  But you probably wouldn't have emailed them in the first place if that was the case, you'd just have got to work nibbling.

Is there anyone near to you who's got a nibbler?
    I don't even know what a nibbler is! I thought it was a technique not a tool :lol: 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I'd use a dremel as a nibbler, in fact I'd use a dremel for pretty much anything guitar related, might have to shop around to find the right bit to use, but it would get the job done fine.
    I agree, they aren.t being very helpful are they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    A Dremel with a sanding bit in it would nibble enough.  Just make sure the nibbling is below the current hole and you don’t accidentally reshape the top edge of the cavity!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks! I will find a way ;)

GB have not replied to my latest email I think they are using the keep quiet and he'll go away tactic...
  • So here is GBs reply... (not owning any weakness in their construction, oh well..). Next time I'll go down the booboo route as this is the level of extra work I would expect with a seconds body tbf.

Hi James 

Thank you for your reply.

I’ve just spoken with one of our luthiers and he suggested that you could nibble a hole with a small chisel. Unfortunately, some fitted is always required with Guitarbuilding.  

He also said that if you are intending on using a pickup ring with the body, you can use shorter screws if you are concerned with the mounting screws being close to the wire channel.

If you would like help with your Guitarbuild, you could always contact Paul Retro169 who does lots of work like this:
    Retro169@hotmail.co.uk

Kind regards 
    Jasmine
    Guitarbuild