Wiring diagram/help partial coil split 335

What's Hot
Zuma-12345Zuma-12345 Frets: 0
edited December 2022 in Making & Modding
I have a Ibanez AM70 that i have bought a new set of pickups for. I custom ordered with reversed wiring/magnet neck to have "hum free" split middle position.
I would like drill a hole for a ON/ON toggle switch that activates coil split for both pickups. I would like to use the PRS style partial coil split with added resistors. I have done this once on a push pull pot. Any recommendations on how to solder this to a toggle switch? I understand its simple, but im no expert.. is there another way? Push pull? (Havent found good diagrams with a single push pull that works for both pickups.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited December 2022
    The DPDT on/on switch element of a push-pull or push-push pot is identical to a mini switch of the same type.

My first move would be to check the pickups for the output conductor format. The enclosed IBZ humbuckers are usually 2-con + shield. (Hot, split and combined ground/screen.) 

Ibanez semi-hollow guitars often have any DPDT switches mounted near the volume pots. This makes them quick to operate and, if there is sufficient slack, possible to service by temporarily dragging the switches through the F-hole.

Doing a proper job will involve removing the entire electronics harness, making the modifications and, then, replacing the harness.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks! My biggest concern now is how to wire the two humbuckers to the DPDT and where to put the resistor/resistors, the "partial PRS split", and where do i ground the resistors? As i stated i have done it once on a cts push pull grounding to the side 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    The resistors ground to the chassis of the switch or the push-pull pot.

PRS uses a different resistor value for each pickup. 

The switch(es) will be in the signal path between each pickup and its respective volume pot.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ok! Is it possible to use different resistor for each pickup with a single DPDT? Do i need another type of switch?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Ok! Is it possible to use different resistor for each pickup with a single DPDT? Do i need another type of switch?
    You can do it with a single DPDT. Each pole of the switch connects the coil junction of its respective pickup to the resistor which then goes to ground. (Or to the pickup hot, depending on which coil you want to remain active.)

For me, if I was doing it with a push-pull I would want one per pickup though, it makes more logical sense in operation on a 4-knob guitar to not have only one push-pull splitting the 'wrong' pickup.

The standard PRS values are 1.1K for the neck and 2.2K for the bridge, and although not set in stone these seem to work well. 1K is close enough for the neck if 1.1K is too hard to find.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom