Recommend me a cheap(ish) Tweed Deluxe sounding amp...

What's Hot
JadedJaded Frets: 129
I know I'm definitely asking for too much here, it doesn't have to be a 5E3 clone necessary. Currently my Les Lius covers a lot of that ground, it even gets quite saggy when boosted with an LPB-1 but I'd rather like to do without the pedals where possible and get a little more "touch sensitivity" etc...

I'm looking for something that will get me close to that super sagged fuzz tone Neil Young gets, along with some almost country like cleans and the varying shades in-between. Channel switching would be nice in lieu of his complicated "whizzer". Some form of power reduction would be nice too as I should be moving into student accommodation soon. 

I'm sure I'm asking the impossible but hey, it can't hurt to ask!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    edited September 2014
    Hot Rod Deluxe.

You get the Neil Young sound by turning the bass and drive controls up full on the Drive channel (not More Drive). Keep the master low and you will get close at surprisingly low volume. If it's not quiet enough or the touchiness of the control makes it difficult to set, put a volume box in the FX loop.

The clean channel is great for country.

You can also get them in Tweed, or the Blues Deluxe, both of which tend to go for a bit more but definitely look more Neil Young :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • good tip!

Marlin
  • JadedJaded Frets: 129
    The Hot Rod Deluxe! I can't believe I didn't think of them, I guess I'll be heading off to watch demo's all night now  :D 

The tip about the FX loop seems like it should come in pretty handy too. 

Are there any real major differences between the Hot Rod and the Blues besides the "more drive" switch? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Jaded said:
    Are there any real major differences between the Hot Rod and the Blues besides the "more drive" switch? 
    Yes, they are quite a bit different, although also still in the same ballpark, if that makes sense - but the Blues is certainly not just a Hotrod without the More Drive mode. The Blues is voiced slightly more Tweedy, middy and 'bluesy', whereas the Hotrod has a bit more of a slightly scooped BF voicing and is more 'country'-ish. The Drive control also comes a bit later in the circuit in the Blues, after the EQ, so even with the bass control up high you don't seem to get quite that same sort of Neil Young overblown sound. Not far off though. (I know his amp is a Tweed, but he gets a very unusual sound out of it!)

I'm not sure you'll find many demos which show it - I only found it by accident really. Most people seem to think the Drive channel is passable at best and don't really explore it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 129
    Ah okay, I'll have to find a shop that stocks them both and see which one I gel with. From the demo's I've seen the Hot Rod does seem to have the nicer cleans and the drive channel seems pretty responsive to the guitars volume control even when cranked. 

A trip to Denmark Street is in order I think!
  • I had a tweed deluxe clone I flogged recently for about 400. Dint think the hrd really came anywhere near it, not that there's anything wrong with the hrd, but very different behaviour.
  • And, weighed about a third of the weight of the hrc
  • I mean, hrd