Vc15 issue

What's Hot
Over the past week i've noticed that all of a sudden the tone on my laney vc15 will become lower.
For instance i've just been playin the clean channel using my nano muff with a compressor - amp on about no2 and the tone will suddenly drop almost as if i've lowered the treble on my guitar.
Any ideas chaps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try cleaning the fx loop sockets - or, as a stop gap, simply bridging the send/return with a patch lead may fix the issue.
  • Well, i already had a patch lead between the send/return.
    Just had the black grill off to check all the valves are seated (which they are) and now its completely dead!
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    edited September 2014
    I suspect it is a valve problem.  It usually is.

Have you tried plugging the guitar straight into the amp?  Also try it with a different lead if you have another (or can borrow one).  This is just to rule out anything else, ie. pedals, patch cables (i've had dodgy ones that did badly effect the tone, until I wiggled them to find the culprit).

Do you have any spare valves (pre-amp & output) you can try?
  • Yeh, plugged it straight in - its completely dead - no clicks, hum, etc at all.
    Do any of the valves glow?
  • Nope, nothing
    edited September 2014
    Does the power indicator light even come on?

Which version VC15 is it? (you can usually tell this by looking at the Laney badge at the front)

Did you buy it new?
  • Well, the power indicator never worked (although the "drive" led was fine), however a couple of days ago it actually came on briefly.
    Its worked fine and I've only noticed the drop in tone this week and i've been using fuzz and compression (not loud though).
    I took the back grill off, checked the valves were seated (fairly gently i mite add), plugged it in and its stone dead.
    The amp was s/h when i got it.
    Does it have one or two vents on the top of the amp?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Does the drive LED come on still? 

There are three separate circuits driven by the power transformer - valve filaments (what makes them glow), low voltage (switching, including the Drive LED) and high voltage (sound), so if all of those are dead it must be either the mains fuse, the power switch is broken or the power transformer has failed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Its got one vent on the top.
  • No, theres no drive led on now.
    ICBM said:
    Does the drive LED come on still? 

There are three separate circuits driven by the power transformer - valve filaments (what makes them glow), low voltage (switching, including the Drive LED) and high voltage (sound), so if all of those are dead it must be either the mains fuse, the power switch is broken or the power transformer has failed.
    What he said ^
    This is why I was trying to find out which version he has, because a lot of the earlier versions had transformer problems.
    Its got one vent on the top.
    You have an early version of this amp then.  I think they changed them around late 2007 / early 2008.

If I were you, I would take it to a local amp technician.
    That does sound sadly like the power transformer has packed in. If it's related to the previous problem it's unlikely to be the fuse or the power switch because that would not explain the loss of tone, they would just cut the amp out completely - and permanently in the case of the fuse, although switches can occasionally go intermittent.

It's not actually a huge or very expensive job to replace it, luckily. Laney are good with supplying parts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Here's a pic of the transformer - not sure if the righthandside is normal?
    No, I don't think so. It looks like the outer layer of tape has been peeled back. I think someone has been at it, possibly to replace the thermal fuse - I think that's what's in the black tube which has two red wires that disappear into the winding... which is not a good sign. I seem to remember this being a problem with them, although I might be confusing it with another model.

That's the secondary side though, so if there is a problem there, there must also be one on the primary side (possibly a blown mains fuse) or two of the three windings should still be working. Check the fuse drawer in the bottom of the power socket, you'll need a small flat screwdriver to prise it out.

• Ordered the two transformers today.
    Fingers crossed thats all it is!
    Two transformers?

• Theres an input and an output?