tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    Is or was?
    Sam Cooke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    No such thing as best, but it's probably any one of Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke or Sam & Dave
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16082
    BillDL said:
    Is or was?
    Sam Cooke.

LOL  Just downloading my copy of SC to my MP3 player and that's wot got me thinking
    tae be or not tae be
  • Curtis Mayfield is my favourite. I like his guitar playing too. And he made three great solo albums.
    Zat the superfly guy?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Yes, although the Super Fly wasn’t one of the albums I had in mind. That’s good too, mind.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    Bruce Springsteen.

Only slightly joking :). His new album  - Only The Strong Survive, which is an album of R&B and soul covers - is genuinely really good, and shows how much of a huge influence the genre was on him in the first place.

But the real answer is Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlwrlw Frets: 4779
    And Wilson Pickett.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • No one has mentioned the Rev Al Green!!! His Sunday slot at Glastonbury 99 was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. He was an incredible performer, bags of charisma and an utterly amazing voice. 
    Johnny Nash fit the bill?
    tae be or not tae be
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    How do you turn a duck into a soul singer?

Leave it in a microwave until its bill withers.

:3 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Can't decide between Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield, but also very fond of Stevie Wonder.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10037
    I think there are many greats who are probably "better" (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye etc) but I always like the songs and live band arrangements of Bill Withers in his prime.

The one that goes "Maybe the lateness of the housr" etc chokes me every time
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    edited January 2023 tFB Trader
    Ray Charles can join any of the above great soul singers

But surprised no mention yet of Bobby Bland - Maybe not pure soul, but as always, there is that cross over link between soul, blues, gospel 

Agree with you @icbm - That the Boss's current cover album is excellent 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    I learned a version of Bill Withers' Use Me a while ago, kind of a blues jam. There are several cover versions so I was listening to them as well (the Mick Jagger one in particular just avoid)and makes you realise how bloody great he was. 
    I did see Sam Moore live once, although I can't remember much about it. I also saw Millie Jackson around the same time, great soul singer unfortunately her attempts at disco and toilet humour (literally if anyone remembers her album covers) rather besmirched her own legacy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I learned a version of Bill Withers' Use Me a while ago, kind of a blues jam. There are several cover versions so I was listening to them as well (the Mick Jagger one in particular just avoid)and makes you realise how bloody great he was. 
    I did see Sam Moore live once, although I can't remember much about it. I also saw Millie Jackson around the same time, great soul singer unfortunately her attempts at disco and toilet humour (literally if anyone remembers her album covers) rather besmirched her own legacy. 
    Going off topic here so apologies - but I have to say I'd have loved to have seen Millie Jackson -  Hurts so good is incredible - but the first track of Caught Up - 'if loving you is wrong (I don't want to be right) is a peek example of the soul/pop/funk of the time. Amazing track. Great album.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    edited January 2023
    Thought this might be the old joke about the Americans having their soul singers, we have our soul singers…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    I learned a version of Bill Withers' Use Me a while ago, kind of a blues jam. There are several cover versions so I was listening to them as well (the Mick Jagger one in particular just avoid)and makes you realise how bloody great he was. 
    Going off topic here so apologies - but I have to say I'd have loved to have seen Millie Jackson -  Hurts so good is incredible - but the first track of Caught Up - 'if loving you is wrong (I don't want to be right) is a peek example of the soul/pop/funk of the time. Amazing track. Great album.  
    This would have been about 1986. I don’t really know why I went, my friend and I had both seen her on the TV I think. This was at The Night Out in Birmingham which was a cabaret venue (the building is still there having been turned into a nightclub and then the O2 Academy). Sitting at small tables with lamps, a full show with comedians, dancers,etc. I also saw Manhattan Transfer there. 
    I remember very little about the music but Millie had a running theme of jokes about black men refusing to perform oral sex and we were amongst few (possibly the only) white men in the room and we had a constant fear of being picked on. In retrospect highly unlikely that she would I suppose, although a better story if she had. 
    Caught Up is well worth anyone giving it a listen, she really was a great singer and it was a very ambitious, sophisticated work. Part of the small genre of soul concept albums. It seen as an influence on rap, indeed one track is called The Rap but it doesn’t bear much relationship to 80s hip-hop. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    Hootsmon said:
    Johnny Nash fit the bill?

You've raised more questions than answers there. And please don't call me Bill ;)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    The major ones have been covered above. Sam Cooke and Al Green are great benchmarks and probably stand first among equals. When it comes to purely singing, a lot depends on preference as these cats could all sing. I quite like David Ruffin and Levi Stubbs (from the Temptaions and the Four Tops). So many great singers of the era had so much more going on, like Lennon & McCartney here. Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown were auteurs who defined eras and genres. Smokey Robinson and isaac Hayes were ridiculous songwriters and producers. Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett had an infectious personality that shone through. Jimmy Cliff had reggae soul. Lee Dorsey had funky soul.

Soul Music had a respect for the art of the singer that rock and roll  often didn't. Maybe Elvis was to blame?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong