Tele “plus” build

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16963
    yeah, taking it slow and paying close attention to grain direction is very important when routing - but rest assured this has happened to all of us at some point.  A slight change to outline can often work wonders
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @GSPBASSES That is a great idea. I really respect the quality of your craftsmanship, not to mention the quantity you put out! Glad you’re able to be back in the workshop.

@WezV do you have any tips on this? I’ve seen you post this before:

Where I got tear out is dead on the bottom left yellow mark. I guess this requires some climb cutting, but everything I’ve read says absolutely don’t use climb cutting with a router table setup.

I’ve ordered a Triton bobbin sander. I’ll use this to smooth down the edges more before I continue routing. I’ll also try to use it to modify the curve where I tore out to clean up the shape if I can.

Thanks for the wisdom all
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16963
    it's important to remember that the diagram assumes your grain is relatively uniform.  Wood is rarely uniform, so there is a certain amount of reading the grain needed in those locations to decide your actual start point.

Taking too much off in one pass will lead to tear out no matter how well you plan the direction of cuts. Taking smaller passes or cutting closer to the outline on the saw is a good way to help reduce the chance of error.
  • NewTimerNewTimer Frets: 35
    Had some time to spend on this finally. I’ve reworked and spindle sanded the body down now.

A friend was kind enough to let me use his yard. It’s an hour away but worth it.

Using my router table I routed the roundover, some sanding, cleanup and fine tuning is needed but nothing too bad.

Next up was the binding channel. I was worried about this, but testing on scrap and using multiple bearings to sneak up on the depth I went for it, it went smoothly.

Today I’ll probably start work on the actual binding. I have acetone, but I think I’ll try the CA method. 
    While out there I also decided to work on a neck template. Using my previous method along with some random paper weights to combat the wind, I taped down carbon copy paper and my template, and traced it out.

I used a jigsaw to cut it out, since I didn’t bring the bandsaw, and the edges would be squared up from either router or spindle sander.

Then I tackled any curves by spindle sanding to the line, and I used the machined sides of mdf off cuts as a router template for the straight edges.

Once this template was complete, I used the remaining daylight to make another, working template. I used two 1/8 drill bits as guide holes to refrain from all the superglue and masking tape.

I was aiming for 56mm at the heel and 43mm at the nut. This will have to do:

Thanks everyone!
    edited March 2023
    Binding’s on. It’s a little rough in some places but I should be able to cover up those mistakes with the paint coat on the top. It’s not perfect but I’m happy enough with it.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Nice work - coming together very nicely.  
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Looks good, very nice work. The binding looks ace.

Special points for getting to within 0.23mm in MDF! I have a similar, now abandoned project with neck templates so I can feel first-hand how tricky that is.
    Some progress. Started vacation so I’m hoping to put some work into this over the week.

started on the fretboard dots. Used a white wax pencil to mark it. 

You can see where I mistakenly marked the 4th and 6th frets to start :)

Drilled

While I had my drill press setup I drilled the tuner holes as well. Cut out my template and matched the center line on the headstock then used an awl to punch starter holes.

Drilled pilots and full width 10mm. That maple sure does burn fast. 

Then I used a drop of thin CA glue to drop in my maple dots, then sanded everything flush with a 12” radius beam. 

They’re not perfectly straight or centered, and I can improve for next time, but it should be passable. My 12th fret dots are too far apart I worry.

today I’m going to try to cut the headstock down to thickness and start on the neck cutout.

thanks 
    PeteC said:
    Nice work - coming together very nicely.  
    randella said:
    Looks good, very nice work. The binding looks ace.

Special points for getting to within 0.23mm in MDF! I have a similar, now abandoned project with neck templates so I can feel first-hand how tricky that is.
    Thanks folks. The binding has some gaps and issues, but I think I can get away with it.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 348
    Nice work, I'm very impressed. Do keep the build progress photos coming. :-)