Fender Hot Rod Deville Reliability Question

What's Hot
So been doing a bit of thinking on my rig and I'll changing a few things. I'm looking at the Hot Rod Deville but remember they had reliability problems way back when. Who's got one and how reliable are they now? More specifically the new version III and even more specifically the Deville not the Deluxe. @ICBM do you get many in?

Ta in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Very few now. Fender have been good about improving them over the years so the newest models are very reliable in my experience.

The one thing you need to do to be really sure is to re-set the input voltage from 230V to 240V - they come set for 230 - which is just a case of swapping two push-connectors on the PCB. This reduces the internal voltages throughout the amp and makes everything run a little cooler.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you sir. Gonna be on the lookout for one.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    I would concur with ICBM.

If the amp isn't rewired to 230 then you have over 500 VDC on plate and screens, which isn't healthy for modern 6L6s.