SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

No longer wtb Gibson Les Paul R8 or R9 figured top sub £4k

What's Hot
jb777jb777 Frets: 155
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
Looking for an R8 Or R9 figured, iced tea, bourbon, poppy, anything but cherry really, under £4k and no I’m not on crack but thank you for enquiring.
Ive seen a couple out there that are a packed lunch away from me and have no COE or similar issue making them a bit of a bargain if I’m careful. just looking here in case someone wants to sell one on in the next week or so.
Message me if you have something that I might lust after.
James
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• have no COE or similar issue

If that piece of paper makes you happy, just get a blank one on ebay and fill it in: 
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/325582482462 ; :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My link is broken, you can copy paste the url to open it.
  • jb777jb777 Frets: 155
    No, that wasn’t what I was looking for but thanks anyway
  • TheMarlin said:
    This is the link. 
    Maybe not what OP is looking for. 
    My point was: don't trust COAs, they're are easily forged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PowerslavePowerslave Frets: 103
    No affiliation:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-custom-shop-1958-les-paul-reissue-vos/1454544620

If I was in the market, I'd be looking at this one. Relatively local to you, too.

Good luck with your hunt.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    No affiliation:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-custom-shop-1958-les-paul-reissue-vos/1454544620

If I was in the market, I'd be looking at this one. Relatively local to you, too.

Careful: that one will have tall-skinny frets, not the medium-jumbo frets that most will be looking for.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4907
    If you could stretch another £200, this isn't a million miles from you:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240108/fs-2020-gibson-les-paul-r9
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    Brize said:
    No affiliation:

Careful: that one will have tall-skinny frets, not the medium-jumbo frets that most will be looking for.
    And if someone is looking for that kind of money and can’t be bothered to post more than two average pics…

If you could stretch another £200, this isn't a million miles from you:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240108/fs-2020-gibson-les-paul-r9
    Not a bad price. Personally I’m not a fan of those ‘bbq grill’ type of figured tops though. They just don’t look authentic to me and I’ve never seen a pic of an original vintage Gibson LP with that kind of top (although they may exist of course, unbeknownst to me). Others may love that kind of top though and fair enough, it’s great that we all like different things!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Thanks for both of those, a big purchase for me so I’ll keep looking for that perfect (for me) mix of colour and flame.
    Sometimes I like the M2M tight lines that Coda and Peach seem to favour, other times I like the less tidy tops.
    Sorry Daisie, what I meant was that I’ve seen a couple of beauties with no COE that were cheaper, I’m not averse to buying one of them but I know from CS Strats in my past it can cause similar issues when I inevitably fall out of love with the guitar and sell it on.
    Thanks for the nod, yes chunkier frets would be more desirable, I gigged R8’s from 2009-2015 and love the bigger neck, that said I’ve had a few R9’s in that time and though not as comfortable I’m ok with them. Towards the end of my stint with Gibson I noticed the 59 neck becoming more prevalent, is that the case now, is the chunky R8 neck a thing of the past forcing me to look at examples around 2012?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes cmw335 I’ve seen two in Scotland that look great, that one included. Great colour and perfectly imperfect flame if you know what I mean.
    edited March 2023
    This one is out of my price range but makes me tingle in all the right places.

jb777 said:
    This one is out of my price range but makes me tingle in all the right places.

Here's the video of that guitar - it doesn't sound great to me:

edited March 2023
    jb777 said:
    Thanks for the nod, yes chunkier frets would be more desirable, I gigged R8’s from 2009-2015 and love the bigger neck, that said I’ve had a few R9’s in that time and though not as comfortable I’m ok with them. Towards the end of my stint with Gibson I noticed the 59 neck becoming more prevalent, is that the case now, is the chunky R8 neck a thing of the past forcing me to look at examples around 2012?
    If you're after a 58 (saves a few quid) with the chunkier frets and (increased chances of) a bigger neck then I'd suggest that 2017 is (yet again on this forum) a sweet spot. From memory, I think that these R8s are meant to have an R9 / Carmelita neck carve but in my (limited) experience, this didn't seem to be the case. I've seen a few nice examples of 2107 R8s knocking about recently although you might want to avoid the early serial numbers if you don't like the gap between fretboard and neck pickup that accompanies these early examples. Of course, I still long after the 2017 R8 in Iced Tea that I was offered here on a first refusal basis by Private Message (having been waiting for 4 weeks from the guy for a price) only to have the forum member sell it to someone else within minutes of making that statement to me.

2013 is a good year for an R8 with a big neck, based on a handful (no pun intended!) that I've owned and played.

Right now, it's a crap shoot. I have played a 2020 R8 that had a slimmer neck (less shoulders) than a 2020 R9.

Of course, given the hand finishing, there will always be some variation.

Regards the COA - you need to see a good few hundred quid knocked off when buying because you will, of course, receive the same treatment when selling.

Might be worth a trip to Squealing Pig - never been in person but they do tend to have a range of CS LPs in stocks from across the years. An opportunity to try a few variations in hand and see what speaks to you?

And, speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't buy even a pack of strings from Johnny Peach if it was the last guitar shop on earth.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Might be worth a trip to Squealing Pig - never been in person but they do tend to have a range of CS LPs in stocks from across the years. An opportunity to try a few variations in hand and see what speaks to you?
    Hmm... I don't think someone who's price-conscious is Squealing Pig's target demographic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Powerslave, lots of good info there, much appreciated.
    Brize said:

Hmm... I don't think someone who's price-conscious is Squealing Pig's target demographic.
    Not necessarily sending him there to buy ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    To be fair I purchased a CS Strat from Squealing pig recently at a great price vs the listed price, nice guy to do business as well but i agree I think I’ll find my dream 58/59 from a private seller.