feeling queezy ....

What's Hot
this makes me feel ill, it's not just the precariousness of the walkway, with a backpack on, distracted by holding a camera, but casually walking past other people on the outside

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2014
    Wow, I'd be well up for giving that a try !

You are right, heavy backpacks change your centre of gravity, and are far too easy to get bumped when passing people in confined spaces.  It just adds to the excitement.

Here is a bit more info for anyone interested, or thinking of giving it a go.

edit:  some dumb-ass forgot to post the link !   So here it is:

BYW Fazer, what on earth were you looking for to stumble (see what I did there) across this ?

There is always the Via Ferrata in Cumbria if you don't want to travel quite so far for an adrenaline rush.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    It made my balls tingle
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • You're easily pleased.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Another crazy on here - 

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has nobody told these people about Playstations? 
  • It's all getting a bit "Health and Saftey".

Even the Chinese on that Plank Road video have gone that way, I guess dead tourists are bad for business.

What a magnificent feeling of exposure though.

For something more home grown, here is the promo vid for the Via Ferrata in Cumbria.

• FazerFazer Frets: 488
    BYW Fazer, what on earth were you looking for to stumble (see what I did there) across this ?

just following links out of curiosity and i ended up there, i guess it's like watching horror films (in theory, not that any of them are actually scary)
    i get nervous enough cycling along next to a canal or river, or walking past people at the edge of a crowded train platform, going on that walkway i would be totally paralysed by fear

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    edited September 2014
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited September 2014

I think the trick of it is to think about something else or concentrate of being safe by keeping to the rockface.

I'm scared of heights and when swinging a 15' polesaw or a long reach hedge trimmer and hooking out 7 foot, 4 inch heavy conifer branches with it, all on a 1.5m x 60cm platform which is a standard of 21' in the air, but could be as much as 29' about the edge of retaining wall in someone's garden, so my eye level is a 35 feet without any safety rails (Because they get in the way) I sometimes have my moments, but then get back into it. 

It is no where near as safe as being 50' up a tree, that is for sure and secure handrails make a massive psychological difference.

Big difference to that and hanging off the side of a mountain though.  I'd do that walk if I absolutely had to and someone heavier walked in front and I might adopt a nancy technique of leaning with my hands against the rockface, but I'd do it if I had to but I'd rather not.  I mean hand gliding or something, you feel a rush, all you get with that is a view and if you die from falling, it's a bit lame, so hardly worth the risk, I'II stick to the sofa thanks.

I also get that feeling walking along train platforms, but not because of the height, it's because I know everyone is completely nuts and only a few digestive biscuits from snapping completely and turning genocidel or completely stupid, so I don't trust anyone, always and always treat them with suspicion and walk the platform like Steven Seagal.

I did one of those shimmying things up two rock faces once to attach a rope for other to climb up on some quasi adventure thing once. I just got volunteered as I have the best body type to do it so agreed. Almost at the top and looked down and it depends on keeping your legs rigid...did though eh.  Like when you abseil, you have to go over the edge and beyond and you can't see the rock face below you of you look down, if it is say a castle battlement on the rock face.  You have to keep your legs straight, the number of people who's legs give out and end up upside down and have to be towed back in to their shame is well funny.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Backdoor Children Of The Sock