Avoiding unnecessary expense....

What's Hot
On New Year's Eve (or 'NYE' as it now seems to be known) the element in my cooker's main oven unexpectedly, very inconveniently and expensively failed. Just what you need over the festive season.... Last night, I set my house alarm when going to bed, must have pressed a wrong button or two and all hell broke loose when I walked on to the landing.... Several attempts to reset it failed to resove the situation.... I went to bed unalarmed, yet alarmed at how much this might cost.... This morning I decided to have a quick Google. I found the user manual, reprogrammed it myself and would now be smoking a self-congratulatory fag, if I still smoked. I realise that the likes of ICBM would probably have known how to do it without recourse to the manual but I'm actually feeling quite smug!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I'm an invetertate tinkerer. Hardly anything gets handed to professionals until I've at least read up and investigated.

Sometimes I put it back together and then call a professional, but at least I know I tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde;35256" said:
    I'm an invetertate tinkerer. Hardly anything gets handed to professionals until I've at least read up and investigated
    Same here - quite happy to tweak a truss rod, change a pick-up or carry out basic car maintenance. For some reason, I've always left my alarm to a pro. No more; I'm liberated!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    There are some things I am happy to tweak, somethings... not so much.

Like rumaging around in a PC case - fine
    Doing anything inside a PC Power supply - not fine after seeing mine lists the internal current as 45A-50A I like not being dead more than tinkering...

The problem is my lack of tools. means I improvise a lot with mixed results...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Diluted [Male] urine makes a great plant and lawn fertilizer.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Save money erecting warning signs on dangerous bends by simply sellotaping a bunch of flowers to a nearby lamp post instead.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    While pubs are struggling to keep business and stat open, leaving us all with less venues help them out by saving them a bit of cash. Instead of running up expensive water heating/water bills by washing your hands everytime you have a piss, wash your cock before you go out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I got myself some cheap personalised license plates by changing my name by deed poll to LS62AWN.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't waste money on a lead. Simply walk your dog backwards holding its tail.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Save money erecting warning signs on dangerous bends by simply sellotaping a bunch of flowers to a nearby lamp post instead.
    I'm not sure that works - once a year like clockwork a tree near me gets a fresh set of flowers... do people never learn?
  • Last week I successfully diagnosed a fault in my washer dryer, ordered the broken part, and correctly installed it. The CabbageCat's manness grew three sizes that day.
  • vizviz Frets: 11025
    edited September 2013
    I bought 3 kilos of rice from Aldi for £1.02. And eggs are £1.46 for 15 by the way.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25505
    Wow...  I could do with an extra three sizes on my manness...  

I just need to break the dryer first.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    I have a smeg range cooker, when the main oven ring-element went I got one from sSpares at the princely sum of £45 inc VAT and shipping (eSpares),  fitting it is pretty much a doddle -   that saved me about £100 + 

caveat - I doubt a built in  ovenwould be as easy  

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Myranda said:
    Save money erecting warning signs on dangerous bends by simply sellotaping a bunch of flowers to a nearby lamp post instead.
    I'm not sure that works - once a year like clockwork a tree near me gets a fresh set of flowers... do people never learn?
    It can  be handy though, There is a lamp post up the road from my Mom's that luckily somebody always leaves a nice bouqet next to the day before her birthday. She loves them and I never forget anymore :)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I love tinkering, I've fixed my son's Xbox several times and also for a couple of his friends. Fixed an iPhone, computers several times, pulled the casing off my microwave to replace a well-hidden bulb, put a new valve in my Astra engine, fitted new disks to my peugeot brakes. Tons of things really. Can't resist poking about with stuff.
  • Are you any good with laminate flooring?

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    Are you any good with laminate flooring?
    of course,  isnt everyone ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25505
    F**k off.
    :|

I've got 48hrs of my holiday left to make a start, then I'll have to put it off again as I'll be back in work.

Will today be the day ?  To be honest, I don't really feel like tackling it today.  I've already decided that I'm only going to take on the kitchen initially.  I won't be doing the living room at the same time.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Emp_Fab said:
      I've already decided that I'm only going to not take on the kitchen initially.  I won't be not doing the living room at the same time.
    Corrected that for you.

:)
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.