Yamaha Revstar "Boost" Control

What's Hot
I've watched a few videos about the Yamaha Revstar guitars, but in one by Phil McKnight he shows an old style small transformer in the control cavity and explains and demonstrates how this works to boost the signal when the relevant control is used.

I don't know of any other manufacturer that incorporates a transformer in a passively wired guitar in this way.  I don't know enough about inductance, resistance, impedance, etc to know how an old style transformer used as a "step-up" might affect the signal.  Phil McKnight's video gives a reasonable idea of the end results of the boost control when used even though I don't know from an electronic point of view the signal is being affected by the transformer wire coils, but I would have wondered about an EMF (or whatever the resultant interference would be called in this case) that might be problematic having a transformer in such close proximity to the other wired components.

I'm also curious to know if there have been any other production guitars using a step-up transformer this way.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    I bought a pedal from a guy who had one of those 100 Gibson Les Paul.  It had only 3 knobs and a second switch in place of the bottom tone pot. The switch when on bypasses all the pots and enables the bridge pickup on max volume so like a boost.

https://reverb.com/item/5296200-gibson-les-paul-100-deluxe-2012-gold-top?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=5296200
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Yeah, I recall some guitars with a bypass button that worked as a boost because it retained more of the pickup signal rather than pots being able to bleed part of the signal to ground.  Having a transformer in a circuit wired to step up voltages is only going to add a lot more impedance to the signal and, I would have thought, lose a lot of high frequencies and reduce the overall signal again.  The only thing I can see it really doing is boosting the signal but with only mids and lows retained.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 651
    @BillDL that's a good description of it. It basically boosts but also rolls of high end basically like rolling off your tone a bit. 
    Works ok for Brian May or jazz type tones, but isn't super useful in my experience 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for that @JohnCordy ; So it's not really a "boost" as such.  A bit of a misnomer if it's only boosting the overall level of the signal with certain frequencies retained to compensate for the loss of some frequencies in the process.  I wasn't intending buying a Revstar, but I had been wondering about whether it might be a useful mod to do to a guitar I already have if I knew what transformer was used.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    You can’t boost a signal without an external source of power. Unless you’re exploiting special relativity and converting mass to energy, which I doubt Yamaha are doing!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    You can’t boost a signal without an external source of power. Unless you’re exploiting special relativity and converting mass to energy, which I doubt Yamaha are doing!
    I have a passive step up transformer for my turntable. It steps up the voltage and steps down something else (I'm not sure). Essentially the volume is boosted though. Such things exist
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It depends on what you mean by boost. Using a step-up transformer will increase the signal output voltage, and if very little current is being drawn - as it is if the load is a typical 1M input impedance of a valve amp etc - then the signal will effectively be boosted. The power won't be, but it's voltage not power which is detected by the amp.

Also, an LC circuit - which this could also be if it contains a choke rather than a transformer - can boost a signal by up to 6dB at the resonant frequency, without any external power source. The energy is drawn from narrowing the bandwidth so other frequencies are reduced - which this could also be doing if it's rolling off top-end.

So it's not contravening the laws of physics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you for the input.  @ICBM ; When you say "choke", what would that look like?  The photos I saw of the component in the Revstar resembled an old style transformer with what looked like 2 separate coils.  Could a choke look like that?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    BillDL said:
    Thank you for the input.  @ICBM ; When you say "choke", what would that look like?  The photos I saw of the component in the Revstar resembled an old style transformer with what looked like 2 separate coils.  Could a choke look like that?
    If there are two coils it's either a transformer or a humbucking choke, depending on how it's wired.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks @ICBM.