Zebra colours

What's Hot
I think they are black and white....

I am looking at Fishman Fluence Open Classics for my Jackson (see profile pic) however the white coil looks a creamy colour rather than white? The Satchel sig looks to have a bright white coil though, which is what I'm after.

Does anyone own a pair? What colour are they?

I am guessing Dimarzio has a pretty strong hold on the white uncovered pickup market, but cream wouldn't look right on a white guitar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4380

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74410
    Standard zebra coils are black and cream. White is very rare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Thanks, didn't know that. I was pretty set on the Fishmans so might have to go with a more standard offering, black or covered. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13917
    ICBM said:
    Indeed so.

Watch Rare Albino Zebra Spotted In Tanzanian National Park
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I have never in my life seen a black and 'white' zebra pickup!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    I have, it was a Duncan - can’t remember what in, might have been something like a higher-range Yamaha Pacifica.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11897
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    They are a custom option I do occasionally when folks request them ... but not many folks want black and white - I do a fair few double white for Strat users with white scratch plates. Of course all cream PAF bobbins started out white - they just went yellow with age. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6004
    Technically, black and white are not colours.

(Just saying.)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had a look at your profile pic; I think black & cream zebras will look fine* in that guitar.

*better than fine - I think zebra pickups always look great.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had a look at your profile pic; I think black & cream zebras will look fine* in that guitar.

I like the zebra look in super strat, but surely the cream bobbin would clash with the snow white finish? Can't imagine it looking all that great to be honest.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3028
    Tannin said:

(Just saying.)
    Ever tried saying that to a fashion designer? I once did, and got into a discussion in which they stated there were 72 different shades of 'black'. I avoided the temptation to suggest they could mix shades 71 & 72 to get a 73rd shade. :)

In fairness, they're just words, and a fashion designers use of the word is just as valid as anyone else's, daft as it may sound out-of-context.
  • Bigsby said:
    Tannin said:

(Just saying.)
    Ever tried saying that to a fashion designer? I once did, and got into a discussion in which they stated there were 72 different shades of 'black'..
    And if you ask Clive Sinclair there are two - Normal black and bright black :)

I like the zebra look in super strat, but surely the cream bobbin would clash with the snow white finish? Can't imagine it looking all that great to be honest.
    Just had a quick Google and there aren't many; this was the nearest I could find:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/charvel_pro_mod_sd1_2h_fr_sw.htm

I'd be happy with how that looks. Other opinions are of course available! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Aha... knew I hadn't imagined it! They're very, very rare though.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1574
    I have a set of Bare Knuckle with double white bridge and black and white zebra neck.  I can't remember why I ordered them like that though!

Just had a quick Google and there aren't many; this was the nearest I could find:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/charvel_pro_mod_sd1_2h_fr_sw.htm

I'd be happy with how that looks. Other opinions are of course available! :)
    That looks alright actually, better than imagined. Might be alright after all. 
  • Looks great 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20544
    Might be a bit late or just no bloody good at all ;)   but I found these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alnicov-Humbucker-Electric-Installing-Accessories/dp/B08HYWR2LT