Warmoth tele custom build

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 17500
edited February 2023 in Making & Modding
Been a while since I've done a Warmoth build.

Not a bad start.  The blocks on the neck are not the same dimensions as fender style, and it had 22 frets... but this get us in the right ballpark for the look needed.

I used some tinted  sanding sealer to get a good base for later relic work.

Then sprayed a nice deep red.  My interpretation of Fenders interpretation of Cardinal Red

Still has some nice brightness when the sun hits it, Closer to Gibsons version of the same colour name.  This is the same colour taken on the same camera 10 seconds later, just facing the other way

That is it for now.... onto clear
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Off to a great start.  =)

Out of interest, which tinted sanding sealer did you use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I tinted some sanding sealer with some tobacco analine powder
  • Is that Alder? I have to say I really like how it looks with just the sealer on, interesting to know that Alder can look that good with a clear coat.
    I also love the red btw, I'm just always drawn to anything that shows off the timber!
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    yeah, nice and fairly lightweight alder.
    This guitar will be for someone who doesn't normally like relics, but is playing in a tribute band where a relic is needed. 

Needs to look like a custom shop masterbuilt sig,  but I was asked if I could make it feel like a 90's strat plus neck... minus the sharp edges

That meant doing things a little differently with the back of the neck.  The worn through area isn't worn through at all.  It had some dirt added to the grain, but was then sprayed as a light grey/brown tint, with  no grey and more amber/tobacco for the unworn areas.  This then all got coated in satin clear.  It ended up looking more authentically old than the model it is based on.

I think that meets the brief.   The custom shop style logo reads "Shifty - Foo Fighters".  There will be many other tells this is not the genuine article, but hopefully not ones the non-guitarists will notice

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This needs to be ready for the summer festival season .. so cracking on a little quicker than normal 

1st stage relic is done

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    Love the colour and relicing. 

Watching this with bated GAS breath. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    That is awesome!
    edited April 2023
    Ideally it would need another month working on this, checking isn't as developed as i wanted yet. But it needs to be gig ready in a months time and will be doing 6 hrs every weekend till autumn, so life on the road will take care of the rest

it's gone back to my cousin for him to put it together.  I imagine I will see it in a couple of weeks for final setup.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Nice :D 

Not what I want from a Tele but it certainly looks the part and should be a fun little instrument :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    That's a great looking guitar.  Looks like it will be great fun to play and the neck looks fantastic. 
  • Fantastic work, as always. Excellent relic work as well.

That colour is brilliant, too. 
    Going together.

Yes, he added a Fender logo, but it's over the lacquer and not an authentic one.  There are lots of other tells this isn't  a Fender, such as the extra fret, inlay shape, lack of bullet, rear contour shape etc etc. 

At the end of the day it's for a fake band anyway ;)

But here is the £8k Custom shop version for comparison.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    Like Like 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    Looks fantastic Wez
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    @WezV where did you get your pickguard from? WD seems to be the only company who supplied them, but they haven't got any, and don't look like they are going to have any in the near future?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

edited June 2023
    My cousin picked one up from warmoth with the body and neck, but they sold him cream 3 ply as the closest they could offer.  

He sent it off to tinytone so they could make him one in greyish minty shade, which suits the vintage fender vibe much better.    I knew they had the right shade as I had recently been sent some for another refinish project