SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD 2001 Gibson Les Paul Std. £1550

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
edited May 2023 in Guitars £
Not had this guitar long, in fact a genuine impulse buy, having walked into my local guitar shop in Chester at the weekend. It’s hardly been played in 22 years; extremely clean and care for by the former owner. Some lacquer stand burn on the neck binding and a small scratch near the very top of the headstock front, but otherwise really, really shiny and only a couple of tiny marks on the body. Original frets with no wear I can see, and the nibs are still intact.
Includes original Lifton brown case with pink fur lining also in fantastic condition. Also original Gibson period correct red strap - think it came with the guitar when new.  This is truly a stunning example of a brilliant 22 year old Les Paul, just made an impulse buy when….I should know better.

Pictures coming..!

So, why I am selling?

Totally honestly I shouldn’t have spent the money! A rash and heart not head moment thinking more about the Clapton, George Harrison and Lucy connection (guitar and my younger daughter’s name) My wallet needs a big boost and I’ll return to my trusted Strat!
I have three guitar boxes and will package extremely carefully to post; buyer to source courier and insurance costs, meet up preferred

Changed control knobs aka ‘Lucy’ - originals inc.

Anyone else done anything daft like this?
Any questions….just ask!

Jon
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1093
    That is nice. Mines a wine red, but doesn't have the flame top like that. Would it be weight relieved in 2001?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 239
    Not often you bond with a guitar, I'd keep it
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
    edited April 2023
    No weight relief - it’s a proper one!!

• These have the traditional, "swiss cheese" weight relief. https://prosoundhq.com/what-is-gibson-weight-relief-types-effect-and-which-guitars/
    Thanks daisie_guitar.
    I stand corrected on weight relief!
  • I don’t think these have any weight relief.  They all seem to come in at just under 10lbs.   

I have a ‘93 like this and it’s fantastic.  I also have a standard which I know is not weight relieved and they are within an ounce of each other.  

These are the same year that Dan Hawkins plays.  

Truly great guitar.  I suggest you keep it as you won’t see another as good as that.  

Alternatively contact Dan Hawkins.  
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    I don’t think these have any weight relief.  They all seem to come in at just under 10lbs.   

I have a ‘93 like this and it’s fantastic.  I also have a standard which I know is not weight relieved and they are within an ounce of each other.  

Truly great guitar.  I suggest you keep it as you won’t see another as good as that.  

They all have Swiss cheese weight relief since the 1980s, and still often come in at 10lbs, especially for a Custom. That ridiculous sense mahogany must do something great for the tone.
    Thanks for the advice - will withdraw this guitar for now. Jon
    edited April 2023
    On second thoughts —— it’s back up now!
    I really need to recoup the cost from this impulse buy. Hoping this new lowered price will raise some interest amongst FBers
     Jon
    Bumpage!
    Price drop
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4906
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still available and will consider sensible offers
    In the words of Bob Mortimer:

”Up and awaayyy!”
    Let’s go fly a kite!!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7353
    This is a beautiful thing 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Yeah - I know!? 
    Considering keeping and changing the pickups, but I like to keep guitars standard.
    ta Jon

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1350
    I don’t think these have any weight relief.  They all seem to come in at just under 10lbs.   

1yr out mate his 3 Standards are 2000 not 2001...removes pedantic hat and walks away...
  • Broseley_BobBroseley_Bob Frets: 34
    edited April 2023
    I thought they were September 2000 Dune or June, July 2000 Terry and 1997 UB40.  

Yes, one calendar year out but within one year of the earliest 2000 manufacture date.

This is still a super guitar.  
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 537
    How's the neck profile on this one 60s or 50s? The last time I tried a 2000 one it was the chunky neck!