Neck finish peeling on new Fender

What's Hot
Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
edited April 2023 in Making & Modding
Just bought a new Fender American Pro II Telecaster. Sounds great. Good weight, plays nicely and a lovely dark rosewood fretboard, but the poly finish is peeling a bit on the edge of the fretboard in a few places. 

If I carefully sand it in the affected areas, will that be the end of the problem, or do you think it’ll continue to peel around the neck eventually? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    Looks like air has got underneath , I’ve seen it happen with certain years of Gibson headstocks 
      But they’re nitro . It really shouldn’t be like this if it’s brand new , I’d be sending it back . Wishing you all the best with it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    You can wick some ultra-thin super glue under it to stabilise things, then more super glue to fill any missing chunks. Next flat with fine abrasive and bring up to the right degree of sheen using micro mesh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    Thank you. I’ll give it some thought. If the shop will put it right/pay someone to put it right then I might well keep it, but I don’t fancy trying it myself on a pretty expensive instrument 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited April 2023
    Ask for a reduction or exchange it. This is not too uncommon as rosewood is quite oily and finish doesn't always adhere 100%. Some PRS models had it too about 5-10 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom