you fix it . . .

What's Hot
It's long puzzled me why people sell stuff with some part of it not working, with the comment "I'm sure it's a simple thing to fix".

Why not fix then?  Then it can be sold as working properly !

I realise that a buyer might be able to sort the issue themselves, which wouldn't cost as much as paying someone, but nevertheless my reaction is always the same.

This was triggered by an item offered for sale on another (FB) site, so this isn't aimed at anyone here (specifically ;) )

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    edited September 2014
    Paul_C said:
    It's long had me a wonderin'  why people sell shit wae some part of it nae working, with the comment "I'm sure it's a simple thing tae fix pal".

Why no fix it then?  Then it can be sold as working properly !

I realise that a buyer might be able tae sort the fuck up themselves, which wouldnae cost as much as paying some yin, but nevertheless my reaction is always the same, yeh ken?.

This wis triggered by an item offered fir sale oan another crappy site, so this isnae aimed at any yin here (sort of a ;) )

FIXED

couldnae help it.....votin' day an' all that shit

:)

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Paul_C said:
    It's long puzzled me why people sell stuff with some part of it not working, with the comment "I'm sure it's a simple thing to fix".

Why not fix then?  Then it can be sold as working properly !

I realise that a buyer might be able to sort the issue themselves, which wouldn't cost as much as paying someone, but nevertheless my reaction is always the same.

This was triggered by an item offered for sale on another (FB) site, so this isn't aimed at anyone here (specifically ;) )

That reminds me, I need you to do some work on my Precision!

:D

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    edited September 2014
    Paul_C said:

That's illogical captain.  Why is your reaction the same when you have already acknowledged that the seller may not possess the skills to repair the item ?

Most people are unable to make simple repairs.  They have (usually) correctly assumed that the profit margin will be nil or less if they get the item professionally repaired, so sell it as faulty.

Hell, I have Ebay searches specifically for faulty stuff so I can fix it and sell it on.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • When it comes to electronics things are hard to fix. No longer can you just change a capacitor or transistor. A) solder connections are far too small B) you just can't get custom chippery as spare parts. C) Devices are built not to be user serviceable D) Cost.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Generally if I need something for the studio off eBay like an amp then I search for terms like "not working "or "for parts" as then I can land it a lot cheaper and repair it myself

You need yo be careful though as often the kit adversised as probably simple fix etc has already been looked at by someone who had worked out it's not just a fuse or bad joint but all 8 power transistors are short circuit and it's really BER
    Some people cant solder though and have no repair skills at all so I their case they just sell it as faulty but may be simple to fix

To be honest we live in an age where people get involved as little as possible these days It's rare for people to change their own brake pads on the car or replace a faulty washer on a tap or any thing like that
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    A lot of people can't fix stuff. I'm pleased to say that I can and I'm happy to buy stuff cheaper!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    Danny1969 said:
    You need yo be careful though as often the kit adversised as probably simple fix etc has already been looked at by someone who had worked out it's not just a fuse or bad joint but all 8 power transistors are short circuit and it's really BER
    Indeed.  I got stung with a powered mixer like that.  Turned out to be the (multi-tap, toroidal) transformer and the seller claimed it had never been opened, despite the main board having most of the screws missing.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • So far I've been lucky in that all the borked stuff ive bought has been fixable. Unfortunately, not all of the borkedness was declared! I wish people who sold pedals on eBay would test the bloody things first.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....