Wiring Question (3 way series / partial split / parallel)

What's Hot
Hi, quick wiring question

Single humbucker guitar, 4con, Dimarzio 

I want to install using this diagram but would prefer to use a partial split if possible to do without affecting the series or parallel tones 

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/1hum1vol1tone3waytelsw_dualsndsplit.pdf

Where do I wire the resistor?

Is it the blank tab on the top row, between the red and black wires? 

Thanks for any help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    I think that you will require a four-pole, three-way switch. 

CAUTION: DiMarzio has labelled the three sounds the ICBM way - left to right as viewed by the player of a right-handed guitar.

By the same convention, on a regular Telecaster, neck PU would be labelled 1 and bridge PU would be 3.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm ok, thanks. 

I’m not sure it’s worth buying an extra switch for, given my long term goal is to get the matching neck pickup and use a push pull for partial split

I rarely use parallel wiring on guitar so was just going to do this as a stopgap setup, as I’ve got spare resistors. 

Thanks
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited April 2023
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited April 2023
    You can do it with that switch - you just need to re-arrange the connections for the middle position.

If the switch terminals shown there are

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

1 - green
    2, 3 and 7 - red
    4 - black and ground
    5 - n/c
    6 - resistor to 7
    7 - red from 3
    8 - white

Does that make sense?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've just had a cursory look at the Dimarzio diagram you linked to, and was initially confused. I think they've used an alternative humbucker wiring rather than their standard humbucker wiring. They appear to be using white as hot. I presume they have done this in order to voice the neck facing coil when split. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I've just had a cursory look at the Dimarzio diagram you linked to, and was initially confused. I think they've used an alternative humbucker wiring rather than their standard humbucker wiring. They appear to be using white as hot. I presume they have done this in order to voice the neck facing coil when split. 
    The split is to hot not ground, which might be confusing! But it will work either way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks both! 
  • Wired up and functioning! Used ICBM’s wiring instructions.

3k resistor for the partial split. Humbucker is a Dimarzio D Activator, in a baritone parts telecaster 

It’s been useful as I’ve never been able to compare partial split within parallel before 

For my tastes the partial split has way more useful character for my own enjoyment and would be my preference for recording 

For a live use instrument the parallel option would make more sense as it’s noiseless.

Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom