First album or single you bought.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Nearly all of you have more cred than me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    My mate's dad sold ex jukebox singles and I bought They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Haa! by Napoleon XIV. Probably my favourite B side ever (it's the A side played backwards). First current chart one was probably Lucky Number by Lena Lovich. 
    I decided to share the joy, this kept me amused for hours. The record label did indeed look like that.

https://youtu.be/4gbvcEkuFFI
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 56
    The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom from the local Woolies, I remember my sister getting me Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants but the first record I went and bought was the soundtrack to film Dance Craze. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13696
    What's the Story? (Morning Glory)...

The second was the first Spice Girls album, but let's not discuss that...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970
    There was a bloke on the market who sold ex juke box records ... these had no normal centre hole, just a massive one  but that didn't matter as you could use one centre for all of them. 

Torch by Soft Cell was the first record I ever brought, still love the song today. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5042
    Single: 99 Red Balloons.

Album: Brothers in Arms.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thingthing Frets: 474
    Single: I Feel Fine: Beatles

LP Sound track to 2001: Space Odyssey
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 205
    First single was absolutely nothing I can claim as cool. It was Orville’s Song (I wish I could fly) when I was 5. 

Think my first album was a bit better- Michael Jackson’s Bad when I was 10/11. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    Beatles, Revolver & Jethro Tull - Aqualung, both in 71 or 72. I still have that copy of Aqualung.  I have never bought a single.

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 176
    You are all way too cool. My first single was ( looks around to check no one is listening in) My coo ca choo by Alvin Stardust….there I’ve said it and feel much better…

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    With The Beatles, with my Christmas money, Christmas 1963.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2632

Arrested Development – 3 Years, 5 Months And 2 Days In The Life Of...

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    edited April 2023
    Toms_Dad said:
    You are all way too cool. My first single was ( looks around to check no one is listening in) My coo ca choo by Alvin Stardust….there I’ve said it and feel much better…

No need to look around to see who heard you. I liked that at the time also. I think my 3rd single was Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting, with Gamblin' Man on the B side (1974)     I don't think I've heard the B side song for about 40 years.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1647
    I think the first single I bought myself might have been Tarzan Boy by Baltimora!

Or it might have been Lean on Me by Red Box, which I still think is a good track.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    With my own money it was this:

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    First single with my own money, bought with my own hands was Chic - Le Freak. Not some birthday money that I gave my mum to buy Long Haired Lover from Liverpool - Little Jimmy Osmond -  when I was 5. 

I cringed a few months after when I got fully into the post punk/new wave/mod/ska era. I knew at the time I shouldn't have bought it, but it was catchy and I kept singing it. I got it on the way home from school as there was a record shop I'd pass by and on this day I wasn't with any schoolmates. I swear the assistant scoffed at my uncoolness as he put it in the bag. I don't think I've ever admitted it until now.

Actually it might have been YMCA?

Definitely the first album was Outlandos D'Amour - The Police.

One important bit of wisdom we should all give our kids when buying music nowadays (does that happen?) is to choose your first purchase wisely. In middle-age years a thread on a messageboard will appear where you will feel obliged to admit it

(I actually like and appreciate that Chic song now and all things Nile Rodgers. But at the time it was so uncool).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Singles (bought at same time:
    Kraftwerk - The Model
    XTC - Senses Working Overtime 

Album:
    Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

Not too shabby…it got a LOT worse before it got (in my opinion) better!

I did have Shawaddywaddy and Shakin’ Stevens tapes given to me at Christmas before this, but these are my ‘with my own money’ ones.

• Dav275Dav275 Frets: 324
    Single(s) - a couple by Creedence Clearwater Revival bought for pennies at a jumble sale.   (Didn't know who/what I had, I just wanted something to try on my recently acquired record player).

Album - On the Level, Quo.  (Definitely knew what I wanted by then).
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14213
    Apart from some Disney singles as a young kid, I still have my first proper vinyl single, bought from Bayes Recordium in King's Lynn in 1978 aged 11: The Clash - Tommy Gun.