SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn: Gretsch Electromatic G5570 "Elliot Easton" Duo Jet

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8547
edited October 2023 in Guitars £
Edit: I actually forgot this listing was up. Withdrew it months ago!

This is a really nice guitar which I've used and loved since I got it in September 2020. Really reluctant sale: It's 10.8lbs and that's slightly too heavy for me. The weight didn't bother me at all recording and playing at home, but then I joined a band, I started playing standing up again and have found my shoulder hurts the morning after a 3 hour session. After 18 months of keeping an eye out, I finally found another one of these that's a bit lighter.

So this one: Set up by the Little Guitar shop here in Brum. Relatively low action (2mm bass, 1.75mm treble @12th fret), comfortable to play, with a chunky neck which I guess is '50s style. Though heavy it's very well balanced and it plays well all along the neck. I also think the weight gives the sound and attack a little something extra - a bit of bass punch and low mid weight, based on the pickup swapping I did between it and its lighter sibling.

The playing wear/ things to note:

The gold finish on the hardware that gets touched a lot - Bigsby arm, pickup selector and master volume mainly - has worn down, which gives some idea how much I liked and used this guitar. Hidden underneath the pickup rings there are a couple of extra drill holes for mounting Gretsch Filtertron pickup rings, which are the same width across the strings but slightly shorter in the bridge-neck axis; for a while I had TV Jones Brian Setzers in this guitar (picture included in the flickr link). The stock pots are absolutely rubbish: the very first time I did a pickup swap, the heat from my iron killed both volume knobs  so they've been replaced by full size Alphas. The tone switch stock is 22 & 47nf, which = totally muddy and even more totally muddy, so I replaced the 47nf cap with a 1nf cap which is more useful for just bringing the top end down.

It's now back to stock pickups, as per the photo.

Some scuffs and marks, I tried to capture the worst examples in the photo album;

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAACm3

£550, I'll include the pictured hard case though there's some slightly movement with the lid closed - fine for safe storage but maybe not secure enough to throw about backstage. Collection from Birmingham or I'll happily meet you somewhere within reason (maybe a fuel contribution if it's a long way).

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5584
    I love this guitar. As you know, in other circumstances I'd be working out some kind of deal instead of saying GLWTS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 55
    Usual story - had one and wish I’d never sold it..!

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8547
    Bump. Here's a pic from last summer, when it sported a couple of Brian Setzer sig Filtertrons. Wish I'd kept those pickups, I have to say! The main thing that is making me want to keep this rather than the lighter one is the darkness of this fretboard - it's almost ebony dark, though I'm sure it's rosewood just like all the others. Think it really makes the metallic green pop.

And as it is today, with the famous "Mudbuckers", which curse you to wonder the cosmos forever. But... Just take them out and put something sexier in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8547
    Bump, this weekend only the price is £1,000,000 and it'll come without strings.
  • srtsrt Frets: 7
    @cirrus,do you still have this for sale?