SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Epiphone ET-275 "Crestwood" 70s MIJ

What's Hot
suitablyswellsuitablyswell Frets: 80
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
Here's a lovely shortscale guitar that I acquired during lockdown from the family of single previous owner, who had apparently bought it new in the early 70s, played it for a few months and then left to rot in a case for the next 45 years. It's been cleaned up to a remarkable   condition, complete with all-too-rare tremolo arm and cover for the "motorik" vibrato tailpiece as well as the original case!

I did find that the original pots, capacitors, selector switch and output jack were all badly corroded and have replaced these with new high quality parts (CTS pots, orange drops). I'll include the originals in a sealed bag inside the case, not that you'll necessarily thank me for it. The neck pickup was faulty and has been rewound to vintage specs by Ash at the esteemed Oil City Pickups. You'll spot that there are a couple of screws missing that attach the bridge to the vibrato unit, but it still functions absolutely fine (I'm also looking to see if I can find appropriate replacements for these).

Now it's full of character, incredibly comfortable to play and in beautiful condition for a 50 year-old guitar. Sadly it's not getting used enough by me to warrant hanging onto it, so I'm thinking about moving it on.

These vintage Epiphones were manufactured in the Matsumoku factory (generally considered to be the premier Japanese guitar builders in the 1970s) . The ET-275 "Crestwood" was the humbucker-equipped model (you'll have seen the likes  of Kurt Cobain and Justin Trosper tout single coil-equipped 270s) of a new line of guitars that Epiphone started making which were more in keeping with other Japanese-made guitars of the era. Sometimes you'll see them called Crestwoods and other Epiphone models of the same era include the Coronet, the Wilshere and the Olympic, though all differed in specification from the original 60s models - and were obviously bolt-ons rather than neck-thrus! You can see images from the original 1971 catalogue here: https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/epiphone/catalogues/1971_ET-275.php

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Hardwood body
  • Bolt-on hardwood neck
  • Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
  • 2-ply truss rod cover with epsilon "E" engraving
  • 21 frets
  • 24.75" scale
  • 1.68" nut width
  • 3-ply neck & headstock
  • Two humbuckers
  • Chrome hardware
  • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
  • 3-way selector switch
  • Chrome hardware
  • Vibrato tailpiece
  • White pickguard
I'm looking for £650, including the hard case. Just ask if you have any questions! You're welcome to try before you buy if you collect from Aberdour in Fife (I am also through to Edinburgh and Glasgow fairly regularly), or I can post within mainland UK at cost if you want.

I see Imgur is being a pain with embedded photos, so hopefully this link to a folder will work properly: https://imgur.com/a/2v89fy3
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wee bump to say that I'm open to offers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 714
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 714
    I can only do that 50% of the time. 

• Penn said:
    I can only do that 50% of the time. 
    Thanks very much @Penn!
  • Now sold
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7451
    edited April 2023
    To a man with impeccable taste and a growing overdraft - thanks @suitablyswell ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6073
    To a man with impeccable taste and a growing overdraft - thanks @suitablyswell ;
    You classy geezer! 
    dazzajl said:
    You classy geezer! 
    You are too kind .  My complex , nuanced thought process was -

70s bolt on Gibsons = I Like 

70s bolt on Epiphones = I most probably like 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6073
    Can’t fault your logic at all. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
    dazzajl said:
    You classy geezer! 
    You are too kind .  My complex , nuanced thought process was -

70s bolt on Gibsons = I Like 

70s bolt on Epiphones = I most probably like 
    Logical reasoning worthy of Aristotle.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Lovely guitar @suitablyswell , arrived superbly packed today and it plays as good as it looks . marvellous stuff
  • Lovely guitar @suitablyswell , arrived superbly packed today and it plays as good as it looks . marvellous stuff
    Brilliant news, really glad that it arrived safely and hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did!