Amp gain types

What's Hot
xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
I can recall amps with gain types that most overdrives/ distortions seek to emulate but has anyone ever come across an amp which has a fuzz gain structure? I.e. you turn the gain up and it becomes saggy and fuzz facey?! Just out of curiosity more than anything! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Early Fenders when dimed with a high output humbucker get fuzzy. You get some insight with this, although not particularly high output guitars are being used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dual Rec with gain really high in at really really low volume? Not fuzz facey, but sort of sounds like a big muff pedal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Hymnal said:
    I can recall amps with gain types that most overdrives/ distortions seek to emulate but has anyone ever come across an amp which has a fuzz gain structure? I.e. you turn the gain up and it becomes saggy and fuzz facey?! Just out of curiosity more than anything!
    Yes, a lot of 70s solid-state amps do.

The good news is that they're dirt cheap.

The bad news is that a lot of them are not tolerant of doing that, and the smoke can come out...

Relatively reliable ones that will get close to it - and have master volumes, and don't have to be cranked fully to do it, so they tend not to blow up - would be some HH models, and early Peavey Centurys.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    great clip!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Not at all like a tight Marshall or similar.