SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Purple Guitar

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
Back story: my nephew (15) is going through a bit of a tough time with health and education issues.  Spends most of his life in his room, that sort of thing.

Anyway, he's got a cheap acoustic he's learned a couple of chords on, and I've been able to reach out to him a bit by offering to go over and teach him a riff or two.

But I thought it might be the ratherest thing to show up and surprise him with an electric and give him one of my practise amps: if he's gonna be skulking in his room, at least he can spend some of his time making an unholy racket, right?

One of his things is he's obsessed with the colour purple.  As much as Prince in the early 80s.  Hence the thread title.  I sincerely believe that if I can find him a purple guitar, he's that much more likely to stick at it.

So, what's out there?  Obviously I'm not looking for a custom shop job, or a genuine '59 LP, but would rather get him something decent that stays in tune rather than the sorts of PoS I learned on (Marlin Sidewinder, I'm looking at you).  Thinking perhaps Yamaha, that sort of thing.

WHY?
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4906
    There are a couple of purple options in the new Squier Sonic series ( the Strat and the Esquire H):
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-guitars/squier-sonic-series/
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
    There are a couple of purple options in the new Squier Sonic series ( the Strat and the Esquire H):
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-guitars/squier-sonic-series/
    Oh that’s helpful. Squiers have a pretty decent reputation as student guitars, don’t they?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20168
    Squiers are a good call.
    Or, Andertons have a few candidates   https://www.andertons.co.uk/purple-electric-guitars?pageSize=48&pageNumber=1&orderBy=3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Squiers are a good call.
    Or, Andertons have a few candidates   https://www.andertons.co.uk/purple-electric-guitars?pageSize=48&pageNumber=1&orderBy=3
    Oooh thanks.

There's a decent range of starter types on there.  Personally rather taken with the Castedosa Conchers Baritone, in Aged Purple Metallic with Mini Humbuckers :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20168
    ^ I'm sure he'd love it  :lol: 
    The Fretboard doth provide: looks like I'm sorted :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8333
    This purple green flip is an excellent guitar, and a cracking price!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246873/fs-cort-x300-flip-green-purple

and @dazzajl is an fantastic person to deal with. 
    TheMarlin said:
    This purple green flip is an excellent guitar, and a cracking price!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246873/fs-cort-x300-flip-green-purple

and @dazzajl is an fantastic person to deal with. 
    Thanks for the tip, and I know that @dazzajl of old :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1627
    edited May 2023
    I've a Tuner, A packet of fresh strings, some plectrums I would be happy to donate to get him started :-)

oh, and a strap
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nero1701 said:
    I've a Tuner, A packet of fresh strings, some plectrums I would be happy to donate to get him started :-)

oh, and a strap
    That’s very generous of you. I’ll PM.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8333
    JerkMoans said:
    Back story: my nephew (15) is going through a bit of a tough time with health and education issues.  Spends most of his life in his room, that sort of thing.

Anyway, he's got a cheap acoustic he's learned a couple of chords on, and I've been able to reach out to him a bit by offering to go over and teach him a riff or two.

But I thought it might be the ratherest thing to show up and surprise him with an electric and give him one of my practise amps: if he's gonna be skulking in his room, at least he can spend some of his time making an unholy racket, right?

One of his things is he's obsessed with the colour purple.  As much as Prince in the early 80s.  Hence the thread title.  I sincerely believe that if I can find him a purple guitar, he's that much more likely to stick at it.

So, what's out there?  Obviously I'm not looking for a custom shop job, or a genuine '59 LP, but would rather get him something decent that stays in tune rather than the sorts of PoS I learned on (Marlin Sidewinder, I'm looking at you).  Thinking perhaps Yamaha, that sort of thing.

WHY?
    As a man who also learned on a Marlin Sidewinder, (and is still referred to as ‘The Marlin’ by some old friends and 80’s band mate), I feel your pain. 

Happy to donate some pedals and cables if that helps, 

I donated a guitar and amp to a young lad (friend of the family) made his year. 
    TheMarlin said:
    JerkMoans said:

WHY?
    As a man who also learned on a Marlin Sidewinder, (and is still referred to as ‘The Marlin’ by some old friends and 80’s band mate), I feel your pain. 

Happy to donate some pedals and cables if that helps, 

I donated a guitar and amp to a young lad (friend of the family) made his year. 
    …and, indeed, on this forum :D 

Will PM ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    i might have a couple o f pedals kicking about i can donate 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 657
    Shame you weren't looking a couple of years ago when the really well specced Yamaha 611s in purple seemed to be plentiful and ridiculously cheap!

Agree that setting up a couple of searches for a used Squier would get you something nice. If he's into heavier music, Kramer does a cheap and fun-looking purple Baretta, but I haven't played one so not sure how much fettling they might need vs a decent Squier.

And I happened across this when I was looking for something for myself. Ibanez generally does a good job with its lower-priced stuff.

With thanks to the forum, now sorted with this rather jolly upgraded Squier, courtesy of the charming @AdamDreyer, who also chucked in a Pod multi FX to assist in the tormenting of the young chap's parents/neighbours/sister etc.

Gonna give it a good set up and some new strings, and chuck in my amp, as I've barely used it, which that naughty @DrCornelius ; coaxed me to bag just after xmas:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/239751/psa-tweed-tone-5w-champ-149-in-boxing-day-sale#latest

All in all, not a bad set up for a youngster taking his first tentative steps into this world of rock, soul, blues and funk, I think.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6073
    You’re a totally gorgeous uncle. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7451
    Does he want any pedals old fruit ? I’m sure I’ve got a few cheapies kicking around he can have gratis 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2046
    Maybe I should drop the Jerk and start calling you Uncle Moans.

B)

Top work there squire, you will be rewarded in the Kingdom of Guitar Heaven.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6816
    dazzajl said:
    You’re a totally gorgeous uncle. 
    Quite!

If he gets bored, first dibs.*

*on the uncle, that is. He sounds ace.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    That's excellent from everybody.  I hope he feels better soon and I'm sure he'll love playing his new guitar.

I wonder if you ought to have bought this though?  It's being sold by the World Famous Essex Recording Studios so it's more expensive used than it would have been if you'd bought it brand new.  It's also an amazing guitar because you could have seen it in an Anderton's video.  Best of all, you're helping musicians if you buy it (although how isn't explained).  Be quick though, as American's snatch these up(?), although surprisingly this has been on sale for a very long time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185858042680?hash=item2b4600ab38:g:UIgAAOSwLgdjQe0J&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8JY8FEjkeRH3B0IdBclT70JhcubW93jgEWZULIPyedgAkFS648lN1tvfr1MpOCSeAcHiA1fdGrCoCfka39hMuZ3P05WrZQ87tpKvmPXsz/C9uKrtSGcFW8fSa7coHcYX1F8i2CAdf2f3VI6X4BifYTd9+K3uybqwzKJMxfdeOjaVEkHDyYOBMp03yKC7wc+n55SnVr37e9ewxhINDTqKCScSuGBhEVADogAyagpoBSlD4Lmhds06xPYIdKEKd6nQhhQ0wq/U6s4Cy8slHzJAj7BBTICLpwLienrt0xjD2gCmC4koqxFCzB6fhEwKEtt5Eg==|tkp:BFBMoJy61v9h

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom