Great guitar - but would it make an only guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited May 2023
    I only have one acoustic, my Norman.

Electric pretty much anything really (they all sound the same ;) ). Either my the Paul or my strat would be fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Tannin said:
    Chatting in another thread got me to thinking. I looked over my various guitars, good ones all of them, and thought :which of these guitars would  I be happy with as an only guitar? And there was really only one. Two at a pinch. All the others have different strengths but lack the versatility to be a one-and-only instrument.

So for those of us who have two or more instruments, which of them would you be happy with as a one-and-only? Which ones do you love playing but wouldn't want to have to play everything on?

(Let's not count one electric and one acoustic. If you like it both ways, you can count both instruments as "only guitars".)

Would be good to hear a recording of them all to hear the differences. 
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 174
    gotta be my Huss & Dalton OM. And genuinely I'm considering selling the Martin I have even though its a great piece because that OM is next level. 
    Damn.......... what's the model so I can YouTube it lol?

Its the TOM-M. European spruce top with sinker hog back and sides. Got it from @GRBaldwin of TFB and have no regrets. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Holy shit.

I just tried a Santa Cruz H13 rosewood. 
    Not keen on the V neck but the sound was HEAVENLY. 
  • What a great topic… I’m heading out for the day but I will ponder this and contribute later
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    That’s like choosing your favourite child…
    gotta be my Huss & Dalton OM. And genuinely I'm considering selling the Martin I have even though its a great piece because that OM is next level. 
    Damn.......... what's the model so I can YouTube it lol?

Its the TOM-M. European spruce top with sinker hog back and sides. Got it from @GRBaldwin of TFB and have no regrets. 
    Thanks - having played a few sinker guitars, I can definitely tell the difference in sound. Will check this later 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3331
    I read the title and my eyes were drawn to ‘only guitar’. I’ve subsequently broken out in shakes and a cold sweat. I’m finding the concept very difficult op. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve currently settled on a small number of acoustics. Like everyone in this forum, I’d have dozens if I could afford them and store them. I have been thinking about this topic over the past few years as I get older. It’s tough, but I think I would choose an A series McIlroy or Avalon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Is it specifically the bass response of a guitar that is meant to "deepen" over time? 
    Not only that - it does, but there’s more to it. For me, the sound usually becomes ‘looser’ (which increases and deepens the bottom end) but also ‘softer’ (which mellows and sweetens the top end). Of course individual guitars don’t always change in the same way, but that’s been my experience with pretty much every old and new guitar of comparable types I’ve played - even ply ones many people don’t think age in the same way. Even Ovations!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Wow that's interesting to hear, thanks! 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 317
    My Martin OM28. I find it much sweeter sounding than the D28 I traded it out for. And much easier to play. It’s finished in stunning sunburst too. 
    Electric, probably my strat but I love the tele I have too. Strat probably just capable of a bit more than the tele. Both fantastic guitars though. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1995
    edited May 2023
    Vinny said:
    That’s like choosing your favourite child…
    It's the exact opposite! You'd generally go for the quiet one with kids 

Smileys dont work for me on here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    edited May 2023
    Just write : )  but without the space between them. :) Colon left bracket. 

Colon right bracket : ) works too :(
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Plus, guitars are a lot cheaper than kids.

As the baddie on Scooby Doo never said "If it wasn't for those pesky kids, I could've bought a load more guitars.."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    That's my theory. No kids, seven guitars, no worries.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    Hmm... I've got two kids, a Martin OM28, an Ome five-string openback North Star banjo, plus Mrs M, and I'm happy as Larry. 

You can't have too many good things going for you ;) 

:) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom