Amp Advice please

What's Hot
Hi Everyone, i am new to the site so please be kind if i have repeated an old thread.

I am looking for a new amp that has two channels, or a single channel with a good and reliable effects loop so i can run a boost pedal through it. I play classic rock and therefore only need a crunch and lead channel, i get "clean" from dropping the guitar volume.
I had a Blackstar stage 60 but it was a bit flat. I am using a Orange Rocker 30 and Tiny Terror combo in a dual amp set up... but its a pain TBH.

Thinking of the Marshall Vintage Modern or the JVM205c. I have palyed the VM and it sounds good, but the owner told me the loop was aweful and it was the most unreliable amp he has ever used.
Cannot get to play the JVM locally.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggest alternatives please?

Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Welcome to the site 

Have you considered a Jet City?

They cost absolutely beans and are by all accounts a very good amp.
    http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/

Would probably be a good idea to give an indication of your budget.

If you want something out of the mainstream there are a few interesting things on the classifieds like this
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    edited September 2014
    I would second your friend's advice about the Vintage Modern. You probably don't need the loop if the 'dynamic range' switch gives you the boost you need (although there is no control over the amount you get), but they are not well-made. I haven't seen any faults with the JVM205 yet, but other models in that range are not that great so I really wouldn't have a lot of confidence in them. If you want a Marshall, go for a JCM900 or earlier, and even that has to be said with a pinch of salt! JCM800s and Jubilees were the last really well-made Marshalls apart from the reissues.

The Jet Citys are indeed excellent - almost unbelievably so given the price (which is because they're made in China), but they are genuinely better-made than the Marshalls, and they're designed by Mike Soldano. They don't sound absolutely identical to Soldanos, but close - actually a bit more 'Marshally'. The only problem is that some of the models have a rather poor loop, but the channel switching works well so you probably don't need to worry about that. The guitarist in the band I play bass in has the 50W model and it works perfectly for exactly the range of sounds you probably want. (He doesn't use the loop.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    ^ I've never even got as far as trying my loop :))

Interesting I heard last night that apparently Mike Soldano has stopped his involvement with Jet City? That's total hearsay, by the way. A guy I know on another forum heard from another guy he knew on a different forum who allegedly contacted Mike about something and was told that :)) ).

But yeah Jet Cities are very hard to beat for what they cost. Only thing I wonder is if they're maybe slightly modern-sounding for the tones he wants.
    Dave_Mc said:
    But yeah Jet Cities are very hard to beat for what they cost. Only thing I wonder is if they're maybe slightly modern-sounding for the tones he wants.
    Not if you run them through more vintage-sounding speakers, I don't think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The rocker 30 should do that? Bloody amazing sounding amp, that one. If you don't want it, don't bin it - I might take it off your hands and dispose of it for you, for a very small fee of course... ;)

Otherwise, I'll say jet city (crunch sounds amazing). I'm possibly getting a jca22h but the 50 watter is apparently the pick of the bunch and better at a range of volumes, down to bedroom.

• Thanks for the input so far guys!!

The rocker sounds awesome.... but it does not like boost pedals for solo work, it is okay in a single guitar set up, but it has not got the headroom for a big boost with two guitar bands if that makes sense.
    Trying to find a local jet city stockist also been put on to Marshall TSL 60?

Thanks guys, any other thoughts are always welcome
    edited September 2014
    Trying to find a local jet city stockist also been put on to Marshall TSL 60?
    No. Just don't.

The thinnest, weakest, most gutless and quietest "60W" valve amp I have ever heard. It's not 60W either, 50 would be optimistic, and there are still far louder 50W amps. They're also very poorly built - worse than the Vintage Modern and even the other models in the DSL/TSL series. If you must buy an amp from this range, the DSL50 is the best (or least worst!).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Not if you run them through more vintage-sounding speakers, I don't think.
    That might well sort it. I remember I really liked mine through the heritage (55Hz) g12h30s I have. Just for the main tones I was after the v12s were the nicest, and I'm lazy so I just left it plugged into them! :))
  • Thanks everyone, the Jet city seems to be a popular choice, i need to track one down and give it a go.

Someone mentioned budget, i am aiming to spend up to a grand all in
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Yeah there is loads of interesting stuff floating around if you get out of the mainstream. 

If you want something cheap as chips, well made and that rocks like a beast you could track down a Laney LC50. They are great amps and go for very little.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I'd have a look at an evh 5150 mark 3.  The 50W model sounds perfect - one paper it's 3 channels but as ch1/2 share all the controls you could just run it as a two channel head, with an outstanding crunch and lead channels.    It also gives the option of the clean channel but it doesn't sound like you need it. 
  • Laney gh50l. Probably the best 1.5 channel amp on the market.
  • timmysoft;364629" said:
    Laney gh50l. Probably the best 1.5 channel amp on the market.
    One of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. If I didn't need two channels, I'd have one.

Cheap used, too.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Welcome op :)

If you play true classic rock, you could look at a reissue JCM 800 or super lead as you'll get the classic Marshall sound but with an FX loop.

You could also look at the originals as well as they can be had cheap if you search round  (case in point, I bought a mint 1978 JMP SL II yesterday with cover, original Mullard EL34's that had recently been serviced by Marshall for £625!). Any competent tech can put in an insert / series FX loop in for not a lot of money.....

A Marshall Jubilee should be another consideration maybe. The loop is pretty decent on these and it has two channels (one of the best lead channels you will find). The prices like everything in the guitar world seem to be coming down a lot as nobody seems to want to pay for high end gear anymore.

What's your budget? Might help with some of the suggestions.

• Actually, for a grand, you could get an mjw amp.

Ask for something vaguely Marshally with an effects loop if you need one. Done :)
  • I've had a rocker 30 and they are amazing amps...but effects loops can be an issue for people that use them.

I've played through a marshall vm and they do sound good, but as ICBM says, they are not well made. The Laney GH i have also played through sounded better and are very well made...i recently sold a very early JCM900 which was a 1.5 channel amp...single channel but with a footswitch for a volume boost...they are called High Gain Master Volume...or 2100. That sounded great as good as the laney but slightly cheaper.

Ive also had a jet city 50w which was also lovely and redonculously cheaper! I got mine modded to KT66 powertubes and added a depth knob...and it turned the amp into a beast. Would be great for rock...highly recommend it. If i was to get jet city again though, i would get the 100hdm...you can switch to 50w and it has a depth knob built in.
    timmysoft said:
    Laney gh50l. Probably the best 1.5 channel amp on the market.
    Yeah it's pretty nice. New prices have gone up a fair bit, but if you're ok with used it's probably an option too. it probably has the edge over the jet city for the rockier stuff (IMO), while the jet city has the edge for the slightly more modern, more compressed stuff. Admittedly, I'm using more modern-sounding speakers with my jet city than with my GH50L, but I think even aside from that (IIRC) the GH50L is a bit more vintage-sounding.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

@Eartrumpet if you're local to me (hampshire) andwould like to try a Jet City i have the 22H head youo're more than willing to test.

I'm a recent convert to Jet City's amps and i'm loving them. Gig week in week out with the 22H and it's fantastic.

• Hi Gubble
    That is a very kind offer, unfortunately i am miles away, North Leicestershire.
    I am going to try a JCM800 this week, based on advice and i have also been offered a Boogie DC5 but i think that will be the "wrong" sound for me.
    A dual Terror has also been suggested, i do like the Orange sound, just the solo boost option i struggle with