How valuable are these Mullards?

What's Hot
fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
I recently bought a JMP MK II super lead that Marshall had just serviced and it has the original Mullard power section and one preamp valve so I just wanted to check the sort of ball park value if I were to Ebay them (I love original winged C EL34's so chances are I could sell these, buy some winged C's and still be in profit. I also have a load of NOS preamp tubes including Mullard which in the pre section have never done much for me so I could happily flog the preamp tube on as well)?

The EL34 quad don't have the Mullard logo on them but appear to be identical to these which Watford Valves were selling for LOADS OF MONEY recently until they ran out of stock

I've taken a few pics as well of the EL34's and also the one ECC83

The code on the back of the EL34's is XF4 B7 J1 so I assume this is one made in Blackburn. 

The code on the back of the ECC83 looks like 163 B7 03

Thoughts chaps?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

The EL34's are XF4 which were that last version made by Mullard.  They sound fine to me but tend to be worth less than the earlier XF2's  The code dates that valve to 1977.

The ECC83 is a last generation I63 and dates to 1977 also.

Value wise they are worth much more if you have test results for them.   Otherwise probably around £20 for the ECC83's and £30 for the EL34's

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Thanks @ESchap, have a wisdom on me. 

I can certainly get them tested gratis by my amp tech no problems prior to flogging (or by Dan Gower prior to modding the amp) and I'm assuming they're all good as Marshall serviced the amp recently and chucked out two of the Mullard preamp valves for being microphonic (there's an assumption there that Marshall must have tested the valves based on that) and threw in their horrible stock ECC83's in positions 1 and 2 which will be ditched very quickly or kept for emergencies only. 

Maybe I'll give them a whirl once the amp is modded and if they're not doing it for me I might by the sounds of it if they test well get enough from a sale to just about fund some =C='s :)

If the Mullards test OK, i'd use those over Winged c's.  The Mullards are likely to last a lot longer!
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Thanks for the advice. As they're not stupidly valuable I think I might just take your suggestion on this and run with the EL34's for a bit and see how they fair. The preamp I'll probably keep as a spare as I have a few old RFT's which have always been my favourite for the warmth with plenty of smooth gain.
    you wont find me arguing with you over RFT's.  Their EL34's are great valves also.